Chapter One: The Chance Encounter

It's Monday.
Nothing special about it either. As I tiredly walk to my locker, I try to get by and not come off as a social reject. But honestly that whole process has gotten a lot easier over time, seeing as it's the beginning of senior year.

I am proud of myself though, I seem to have gotten through high school this far with few casualties. I have a decent amount of friends, my grades aren't totally tanking, and I'm finally basically an adult soon so that's pretty epic. Still no boyfriend though.

That's the weird part.
I haven't really thought about getting into a relationship until recently, when all of my friends starting getting into them. Even my best friend, Anya, has a boyfriend now.

So much for all those sleepovers talking about how independent we are. Strong independent women who don't need no man.

Oh well, I'm still happy for her. Plus, Anya's pretty cute. She's got short curly black hair and really light brown eyes. She's also hella smart and knows how to skateboard so I'm not even surprised at how quickly she was able to get a guy.

I, on the other hand, could use some work. Look, I'm not that pretty but I don't think I'm so bad either. I'm super pale and lanky so I kind of think I look like a spider. My hairs super messy all the time. Ever since I dyed it bright red it won't cooperate with me anymore. That's why I'm growing it out now. But I have a B average, a used station wagon, and a lot of tenacity so where the boys at?

I'm mostly kidding. I probably shouldn't get too ahead of myself if I'm looking for a relationship. I have come off as very desperate in the past, so this year I'm just gonna try and play it cool. If I find I have interest in anyone I'll just totally act like I don't even care. Yeah. Chill, relaxed. Guys like the mysterious type. That can't be so hard can it?

"oof-!"
Suddenly, I get a face full of backpack.
"Go long!" Says the kid who ran backwards into me, as he throws a wadded up piece of paper to his friend.
"Hey watch where you're going moron!"
I yell at him.

He whips around.

Suddenly I find myself face to face with a boy I don't recognize. He has messy dark hair and a look on his face of excitement with too much energy for seven in the morning. He's wearing a Led Zeppelin t-shirt. He's a little taller than me so, feeling slightly intimidated, I step back a bit. His big, brown eyes look into mine and I suddenly forget everything I know about the English language.

"Oh uh, sorry about that" he apologizes quickly. He kind of stares at me for a split second. "You alright, dude?"

"Oh I-uh-.. I'm- it's fine, I just-"
I completely obliterate whatever sentence I was trying to pull out of my ass in that moment.

He looks at me with a confused, yet amused expression. This suddenly turns into surprise as he gets hit in the back of his head with the wadded up paper. As he starts yelling and running at his friend, he's gone just as quickly as he appeared.

I stand there, totally phased, for a few seconds too long. "Who was that?" I hear a familiar voice coming from behind. It's Anya and her boyfriend, Andy.

"I have no idea.." I say, trailing off a bit. I guess I wasn't hiding my smitten nature well enough, because Anya started to get suspicious.
"Are you sure..?" She's asks.

"Yeah I've never even-" I finally shake my head and turn to her. "You know what, who cares. Let's get to class, we only have two minutes before home room."

I try not to think about it too much. But as we're walking to class, I find myself searching the many faces we pass by in the hallway more than I ever have.