"It's cute" I shrug my shoulders, sliding my hands into my pockets as I lean my back on the front of the SUV.

As Holland went to grab the fox again, Aurora twisted away a few feet back into the snow off the side of the road. She holds the fox closer to her chest and narrows her eyes at him.

"You try to lay your filthy paws on this precious bean one, and I mean one more time I'll kick that tan right off of you. Got it?" She stood firm, feet planted solid. She meant every word, I could tell. I loved every second of this.

I could practically hear the grin on his face, he took a slow small step closer to her.

"I'd love to see you try, kappas." He crossed his arms.

Once her grin became something I hadn't seen her make yet I decided a dark eerie, fog consumed deserted road wasn't the best place for them to go head to head.

"Holland enough. Come on, let's see if we can find its mother." I said while I walked over to them.

"I'll stay here, you two go." Holland grumbled as he walked back to the suv.

"Come on little one, show me where your mum is" she whispered to it before setting it down.

"Aurora love, you know it can't-"

I couldn't finish because the little thing ran back to where it emerged from 15 minutes ago, then stopped to turn to us. As I walked closer I saw why it stopped.

The mother wasn't far, right off the ride of the road Maybe 10 feet into the tree's laid it's mother. She had clearly been hit by another driver, then dragged off the road and into the tree's. She laid in a small patch of crimson stained snow, a trail of it leading from her to the road in clear drag marks.

"Aurora, stay over there." I said, still looking at the poor fox.

"We need to dig her a grave." Aurora says right behind me, startling me.

As she went to grab the mother she stopped and whispered.

"Oh my goddess"

I moved around her to see a small orange ball curled up against the mother. A second baby. She looks at me with a heart breaking, sad expression.

¤¤¤¤

After an hour of digging with our hands through snow and dirt we finally had a grave for the mother. Aurora had gone and found beautiful leaves and rocks to lay into the grave.

She shooed me away to go "look after the pups" but I lingered for a moment. She got down and knelt, bringing her head down to the ground. She whispered some words before kissing her finger, reaching upwards then touching the grave.

I quietly scurried away to the two babies and waited. Her dirty yet beautiful figure appeared through the trees then stopped to look at them.

"We can't leave them, they're too little" without looking away from them she spoke then regressed a sigh.

"There's exotic animal shelters around here. Let's take them to one so they can be cared for." I said as I reached down for the original fox we had seen.

I turned to see Aurora giving me a look I couldn't make out, but she had a smile. A small beautiful smile.

¤¤¤¤

We had stopped by a 24 hour supermarket to get a crate, water bowls, and fresh fruit as their food. Holland tried to argue with her about it, saying they're "basically dogs so dog food should be fine". Aurora was having none of it.

She didn't stop there though, she bought them separate little baby blankets as well as a dog bed for inside the crate. Even got them separate little toys. I didn't object to any of it. She kept leaning over, arms full with both fox's, to tell me when we got home she would pay me back for everything.

By the time we walked out of the store, a cart full of stuff, she had finally stopped denying me when I told her she would not be paying me back. A quick reminder that she was mine and will not have to worry about "paying me back". Especially for something that made her smile this much.

For hours she sat in the back petting and playing with the babies, eventually falling asleep hugging the crate. The babies laid close to where she had slid her hand into the crate.

By the time we reached the closest exotic shelter it was morning. I had woken Aurora up letting her know it was time. The look on her face was devastating, she was holding back tears as she carried their crate inside.

What made her finally break down was watching the babies try to claw out of the cage to get to her. They whined and stuck their arms out towards her. She had to walk back outside, I followed quickly behind her.

"Aurora?" I softly say as I walk up to her.

"You don't have to say it Lyle, I know I'm being ridiculous, dramatic even." She wipes the back of her hand across her eyes before turning to me, looking at her dirty winter boots.

I walk up to her and pull her to my chest, wrapping my arms around her small frame firmly.

"I don't think so. I really liked how they made Holland squirm."

She laughed for a moment then held me back. We stood there until Holland walked out of the shelter holding folded papers in his hand. He walked up to us as we stepped apart and pulled her into a hug, ruffled her hair then stepped back.

"The ladies inside told me to give this to you, they saw how upset you got and "couldn't help themselves"." He handed her what looked to be a photo.

As she took the photo I was able to look over her small frame to see it. It was a Polaroid, the date and time written on the bottom. It was the two of them laying on the bed she bought them, with their little stuffed toys and blankets, staring right at the camera. The white one had its head tilted to the side, the red one had its body lounging against the white one slightly upside down.

"Did you bring my purse with us? The one I had that night at the bar?" She said as she stared at the photo.

"I did, everything is inside, your phone included. It's in the back next to your bags."

"I don't care about the phone." She softly said as she walked towards the back of the suv.

She grabbed her purse then went and sat in the passenger's seat, took out her pen and lazily smoked it. I could slightly hear somber music playing inside the suv.

Both Holland and I sighed, then walked to the vehicle. Somehow I knew Holland realized, just as I did that it was going to be a quiet ride.

.....

Comment, vote, tell me your thoughts.
I love you all!

Would you have kept the pups?

Much love,

-Mitsuki💕