Chapter 10

°Lyle°

I have to admit, driving in the dark wouldn't be so bad. If it wasn't foggy as hell, and in the middle of nowhere. It looked like something straight out of an old horror movie. No color, the snow muted due to the dense wall of fog creeping over the two-laned road through the grey toned trees towering over so high all I can see is a pathway of veiled stars.

I had only been driving for roughly six hours, Aurora passed out not 30 minutes into the drive. I could see she was exhausted. She's still having trouble sleeping, the most I was able to get out of her was she's been having bad dreams and since she doesn't go for runs anymore her body isn't managing.

I told her she can use the gym to run or do whatever she likes but I got a very.. Aurora answer. 'I prefer running outside, the morning mist is really nice. So is scaring the piss out of the crones speed walking with their friends'. I nearly laughed myself hoarse at that.

I look into the rearview mirror to see Holland lounging with his feet propped up on Aurora's seat, earbuds in pretending to sleep. Yet he was bobbing his head to a beat.

I look over at a peacefully sleeping Aurora, her seat is reclined back with her laying on her side curled up with that same grey blanket. I smile knowing she's gotten at least some sleep during the ride.

I decided to turn on the radio to see if the local news would give any insight into the upcoming weather. After almost an hour of pointless local news and nothing of the weather I leaned forward to change the station and notice Aurora starting to stirr. Not wanting to wake her I just turned the radio off.

When I look back at the road, to my horror a baby fox darts out across the lanes. I slam onto the breaks, praying I don't hit the poor thing. A loud strained "FUCK" roars from Aurora, filling the interior of the SUV joining the screeching of the tires outside, then a quick thump before we aggressively rock back from the car stopping.

I turned to see Aurora had slid down the seat. The seatbelt now hugging under her arms, her foot is pressed onto the glove compartment. Her hand on the door, the other grabbing my sweater. Her wide eyes looked up at me, frantically searching.

I hear a groan from behind me, turning I see Holland slid off the back seat onto the floor, all except his legs which were sticking straight up. I leaned over, moving his legs to see him looking up at me, a pained expression on his face.

Taking note that none was hurt I got out of the SUV, hesitantly making my way to the front, pleading I don't see a half squashed animal. Thankfully, that weak thing in my chest slows its erratic beating as I spot the fuzzy little white creature sitting at the side of the road. Staring at me.

I release a massive breath, placing my weight on the hood. I turned to explain why I braked, throwing them both around but a loud ear piercing shriek stopped me.

Aurora attempted to open, or rip, her door open but the door was locked. Which caused her to slam face first into the glass, as she screamed in a low, gravely voice.

"IS THAT A FUCKING BABY FOX?!"

She gets the door open, throwing herself out of it then gently closing it before she slowly walks towards the unfazed little creature.

Honestly I don't know what I was expecting, maybe for it to run, bite her even. Maybe the mother to come running and attack her. I was not expecting the little thing to walk to her. I also wasn't expecting it to let her pick it up either.

Holland finally got out of the back, saw her holding the fox then instantly ran to her, trying to pry the little ball of fuzz from her arms.

"Put that damn thing down! What if it bites you?! Lyle, why are you just standing there?!" He rants, the picture of an overprotective parent.