44. The call

─── · 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

Third Person

─── · 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

Family.

Something Donatello held in high regards, how could he not they were the only people in the world who could hand him a gun to shoot them and he still wouldn't pull the trigger no matter how annoying they were.

Though, his idea of family wasn't those of traditional values as it wasn't only the people he shared blood with but rather the people he chose.

In his mind it was simple; blood only made you related but family was the people you chose, you got to decide who that was.

And he had recently inherited another member, Iris.

The girl who he had initially seen as an inconvenience had wormed her way into his heart and he didn't stand a chance of kicking her out. He'd seen her happy and angry and sad. He'd seen her sad on plenty of occasions and the main reasons for her sadness were grief and her biological mother, mostly the latter.

He'd held Iris on multiple occasions as tears ran down her cheek and her voice broke, she'd begged him to tell her why her mother couldn't love her. Why she wasn't enough for her, why she deserved what her mother put her through. And the only thing he could provide her with was a shoulder to cry on, a person to hug or get mad at if she needed to because he just couldn't work out why someone wouldn't want Iris.

And after the incident with Paul and the letters he'd gone into her room to see if he could find anything that would give him a lead on who took the pictures and instead of finding anything related to the photographs that Paul had sent he had found a letter addressed to Iris's mother, written by Iris herself.

He knew it was wrong, intrusive, and simply an invasion of her privacy.

But he disregarded his morals as he opened the sealed envelope and read the letter, he read it once and then once more. He understood what he couldn't before. No matter what Iris's mother had done to her she still loved her, in Iris's letter it said that she had to move on and let go but he'd heard her beg on multiple occasions for her to come back to her so they could do things differently.

Iris wanted to be in control of her narrative.

If her mother came back to her and apologised to her, showed even the slightest bit of remorse Iris would forgive her in a heartbeat. She would believe that it would solve everything and erase all the history, all the pain, and the heartbreak, it would all be forgotten.

Because even though time would pass and life would change Donatello believed that Iris would still be that little girl that craved her mother's love

Partly because she was.

Donatello didn't know everything and he never claimed he did, he knew that he could always learn in life no matter how old you were. Though he was certain about the fact that he hated Iris's mother for what she put her through, and he had vowed to protect Iris.

That's why when a phone call came from a rehabilitation clinic that had apparently been trying to get ahold of him for months to contact Iris and arrange for Iris and her mother to meet he declined on her behalf.

He thought he was protecting her, in his mind, he was not only doing his job as her guardian, as her brother but as someone who truly cared about her. Who had seen her heartbreak, and caught many of Iris's tears over a woman who could care less about her, her child.

It was a form of love, that was what he told himself that this act was the purest form of love he could provide her with.

It was just a shame that this form of love came with a price that would eventually catch up to him.

- x -

Author's Note: Sorry its short and the writing isn't that good I've not actually wrote anything in a while.

You guys after you see the update:

You guys then realising I was gone for months:

Me just trying to pretend it ever happened:

Anywaysssss, who watched the Spider-Man: No Way Home, let's discuss