Chapter 35 - Worth More Than Gold

The next day was a very eventful one for the Pevensies.

They spent the morning with their Tailors, having clothes made for the party that night.

Peter and Edmund squirmed the whole time, constantly asking if they were nearly through.

Lucy tried to be as patient as she could, but after a while she kept asking the exact same question. How long could trying on a dress possibly take?!

Susan enjoyed every single second of it though. She even tried on dresses she knew she wouldn't wear to the party. Which is something Lucy would never understand.

After lunch, Peter said he wanted to spend the entire day with his siblings. Susan took a bit of persuading, but once her siblings assured her everyone had the party preparations under control, she agreed.

The four of them sat in one of the large living rooms. Peter and Lucy were doing a puzzle, while Susan and Edmund were playing chess.

"You know, Lucy." Peter said, adding a corner piece onto the puzzle. "I haven't told you this yet, but I'm so proud of you."

Lucy smiled at him. "For what?" She asked, adding her own piece to the puzzle.

"You've been so incredibly brave throughout everything. You were dying too Lucy, but you were more worried about Edmund than yourself."

"He was dying too." Lucy said. "And a lot quicker than me."

"But you were in so much pain. Yet, up until the very end, you were constantly concerned about Edmund. And you helped me take care of him. You were so strong, during the trip to the stone table. I know that couldn't have been easy on you. With Edmund's condition, and you being just as sick. That must've been hard. Plus, you helped take care of Edmund after I died. You and Susan told him everything that happened, and I know that was difficult. All that, while you had just lost your brother, and were dying yourself. I can't imagine how hard that was for you. But you did it, you were brave. You fought, and you held on. You were the epitome of Queen Lucy the Valiant. And I am so proud of you."

Lucy smiled widely at her brother. "Thank you, Peter. That honestly means the world to me."

Peter gave Lucy a smile before wrapping his arms tightly around her. Lucy sighed warmly, relaxing into his embrace as she hugged him back just as tightly.

"Love you, Peter." Lucy said.

Peter kissed the top of her head. "I love you too, Lu."

"Susan?" Edmund said, watching as Susan thought out her next move.

"Yeah?" She asked, looking up at her brother once she'd moved her chess piece.

"I just wanted to thank you." Edmund said, moving his own chess piece.

"For what?" Susan asked, looking up at him.

"For going to Aqua Translucent and getting the water. You saved my life, and I know it wasn't easy.  You practically ran the whole way to the stone table, just so that you could make it in time. You could've just given up, but you didn't. You ran for miles, and miles, and miles. So that you could reverse the spell, and unlink my life from Lucy's. To save us. That couldn't have been easy on you. But you did it anyway, you persisted, and did whatever it took to make it to the stone table on time. So that I could live. I am eternally grateful. Thank you Susan. Thank you so much."

Susan smiled at her brother, taking his hand in hers. "You're welcome, Edmund. And you know what?"

"Hmmm?" Edmund asked.