Chapter 17 - Hang in There

The morning was dark and dreary, drizzly. The sun rose as it always does, but it was hidden behind the clouds. As the sun rose, each of the Pevensies awoke, except for Edmund of course. None had a smile on their face, but they got out of bed anyway. Because although this was a day they were all dreading, they knew it had to be done.

By 7:00 am everyone was out in the courtyard, just about ready to leave. They all stood there in silence for an entire minute, each thinking.

"How is Edmund this morning?" Susan asked after a long while.

"His fever is high and his breathing is only getting worse." Willow answered. "He hasn't coughed up any blood, or had any other serious spells though. Which is something to be thankful for."

Susan slowly nodded.

"Do you think he'll be okay throughout the journey to the stone table?" Lucy asked.

"He needs to be looked after very carefully." Willow said. "It won't be easy on his body, you may need to stop a few times to give him rest and a proper break. The horse riding won't be easy for him."

"I'll make sure to do that then." Peter said. "I'm riding on the same horse as him, so that I'm right there if anything happens."

"That's a good idea." Willow said. "I packed you a bag of medical supplies." She handed the bag to Peter. "It has anything you might need in it, and I've labeled it all. Use it whenever you need it. And I have a cloth and some water in there, when you stop to rest, dab his forehead with it. That should slow the fever."

"Thank you Willow." Susan said. "For everything."

"Of course, Queen Susan." She replied kindly, before looking over at Peter. "Are you sure I should not accompany you? To help look after King Edmund and Queen Lucy?"

"I appreciate the offer, Willow." Peter said. "But as long as I have this medical kit, I believe we will be just fine."

"As you wish." Willow said. "But if you do need me, please don't hesitate to send someone for me."

Peter nodded. "I will. Thank you."

The dryad bowed at him.

"How are you feeling today, Lucy?" Susan asked.

Lucy shrugged from where she stood beside her horse. "Not too well. I feel like I'm going to throw up at any minute, and my head is pounding. I think I have a fever too."

"There is medical supplies in the bag for you as well Queen Lucy." Willow said.

Lucy nodded slowly. "Will it get worse?" She asked.

"It will, yes." Willow replied. "As King Edmund gets sicker, you will as well. You will probably begin to feel very weak. Especially with the horse riding. That won't be very easy on you, since you're already so ill. Make sure to rest, and take breaks. Otherwise, you and your brother won't make it to the stone table alive. You must not push yourself too hard."

"I won't." Lucy replied, taking a deep breath. "Thank you Willow."

She nodded. "Of course, Your Majesty."

"We should probably get going." Susan said.

"Yeah, we should." Peter replied.

Susan walked over to her brother, wrapping her arms tightly around him, and Peter immediately returned the embrace.

"Be careful." Susan said. "Look after Edmund and Lucy, don't push them too hard. Make sure Lucy actually lets herself rest."

"I will." Peter said. "I promise."