Chapter 4: Leap of Faith

Miles's POV
4 days later

Peter and I were perched atop the Chrysler Building, overlooking the night's illuminated cityscape. Peter was dressed in his classic red and blue Spider-Man suit, while I was in my signature hoodie and shorts with one of his old masks covering my face.

"You sure about this, Pete?" I ask hesitantly as I worriedly gazed at the cars racing by on the streets below.

"You have nothing to worry about. It's just a leap of faith," he responds, reassuringly.

"I want to be able to help people, but how can I? I'm just a kid. Plus, New York already has one Spider-Man. It doesn't need two."

As if reading my mind, Peter gently placed a hand on my shoulder and even through his mask I could tell that he had given me a warm smile, which I returned.

"It's just a leap of faith."

With that in mind, I took a deep breath, closed my eyes, and pushed myself off the skyscraper resulting in a backflip. My ears were filled with the sound of shattering glass. I then opened my eyes and took in the sight of the beautiful city lights. Everything seemed to go in slow-motion. It were as if it was just me and the bustling city below. I steadied myself from my aimless flailing into a sharp dive as the cold night's wind whisked across my masked face and my red hood blew through the air behind me.

"Miles! Use the web-shooters!" Peter hollered from above me. I turned myself around midair, so that I faced him as I pressed down on the clunky, red web-shooters on both of my wrists. A web launched from each, connecting to the top of the building, which caused me to be flung into the air.

I connected another web to the side of the building a swung down low so that I could run among the cars on the street. My spider sense alerted me of an oncoming truck so I instinctively flipped over it.

"Swinging through the city it feels like... magic. It feels like nothing else in the world matters. It's as if I am one with the sky."

I ran across the side of a skyscraper and could hear the sound of my sneakers squeaking on the glass. Then I leapt of the skyscraper and landed on a restaurant labeled 'Best Burger'.

"I kinda want a burger now."

I put my hands on my knees and removed my mask, trying to catch my breath. I heard a quiet thump beside me and turned to see Peter, mask off and a proud smile plastered on his face. "You did it!" he exclaimed happily, before pulling me into a very tight embrace.

"P-Pete, n-need to... breathe," I whispered in a strained voice.

"Oh, sorry 'bout that" he said, while rubbing the back of his head, nervously.

"It's cool," I said nonchalantly, as I shrugged my shoulders indifferently.

"Let's head back to May's," he began as he pulled his mask back over his face, which I replicated. I could tell he gave a grin through his mask. "Try and keep up keep up," he said before swinging off.

"W-wait up!" I screeched to no avail as I took off, following the trail of webbing he had left behind.

Peter's POV

I made my way across the city with Miles trailing behind me. I sprinted along the side of a building. When I ran out of wall, I vaulted off the building and twisted midair before free falling toward the oncoming traffic. I used a web to hoist myself into the air and flung myself in the direction of Aunt May's house.