Visiting

Claire's pov

I walked into the dining room ready for breakfast. My stomach's been growling for the past half hour. The only thing on my mind right now is digging into a plate full of Cook's banana pancakes. My mouth was practically watering, picturing the pats of warm butter melting on top of the stacks and the gooey maple syrup dripping down the sides, forming sticky puddles of sweet awesomeness all around the plate.

Licking my lips, I was broken from my culinary fantasy upon hearing my grandfather's booming voice.

"Ah, bambina (baby girl), come say hello to my cousin Salvatore," he practically shouted at me, patting his lap as an invitation for me to come sit. Now, seeing the oddly shaped tan man next to my grandfather, I noticed his cousin doesn't look anything like him. He's a little taller and thinner and his hair has more grey in it than Grandfather's. I'm guessing he's at least a few years older than he is as well.

Oh good Lord, it's too early for this, I thought to myself as I plastered a fake smile on my face and shyly said, "Buongiorno (Good morning)," taking a seat on my grandfather's lap.

His cousin looked at me funny for a few seconds before responding, "Salve, signorina (Hello, young lady). You may call me Cousin Sal. Va bene (Ok)?"

I nodded. Grandfather gave me a little squeeze and smiled.

"Are you ready for breakfast, bambina (baby girl)?"

"Si, Nonno (Yes, Grandfather). I've been dreaming of Cook's banana pancakes since I woke up."

Grandfather laughed heartily and his cousin winked at me and smiled. They said something to each other quite boisterously in Italian that I didn't understand. Why are they being so loud this early in the morning? I wondered.

One of the servants came over and poured something into their coffee cups from one of the bottles Grandfather keeps behind the bar. After he took my breakfast order, Alfred walked in.

"My apologies, Master Dimerra, but the delivery you've been expecting has arrived and..." Alfred paused, carefully considering his word choice as he briefly looked at me before returning focus to my grandfather. "The courier would like a moment of your time."

I'm not sure what a courier is but Grandfather obviously got the gist.

"Ah yes, of course. Tell him I'll be right there, Lorenzo. Thank you." Lifting me off his lap, Grandfather said, "Scusami, torno subito (Excuse me, I'll be right back)."

When he left, I sat there awkwardly in silence with his weird cousin.

He scooted his chair closer to me, saying, "Would you like a sip?" as he jutted his coffee cup in my face.

"No thank you," I said, scrunching my face as I turned away.

"Why not? Don't you like coffee? It tastes good. It has a little something extra special in it that I think you'll like." He held the cup closer to my mouth as I leaned further back in my chair, trying to get away.

"It smells funny," I said, turning my head to distance myself from the strong odor of whatever was in it. It didn't smell like coffee.

"Trust me, it's good," he said, leaning in closer, putting his hand on my knee.

"Buongiorno (Good morning), Salvatore," my uncle said, as he entered the dining room. Giving me a pointed look before acknowledging me, he said, "Morning, Claire," before returning his attention to Grandfather's cousin.

Grandfather's cousin immediately stood up to greet my uncle.

Pulling him into a hug first before kissing both of his cheeks, he returned the greeting, "Buongiorno (Good morning), Elliot James. Come stai, ragazzo mio (How are you, my boy)?"