○ 16

Laughter.

A joyous, jovial laughter filled the warm salty air as the breeze flowed swiftly around them.

The beaming sun shun brightly upon their skin, warming it up as they basked in the afternoon light.

With a deep inhale the salty air of the sea entered her lungs, feeling an instant flow of relief swarm her system.

Slowly opening her eyes she was met with the vast sea that reflected the sun, a blinding mirror of the beams sent from the glowing brilliance that laid in the sky.

Her hands came to her side, fingertips coming in contact with the soft sand as she pushed herself up off of the towel.

Her feet moving slowly as she took in every time her feet made contact with the sand- it was warm and welcoming as it cradled her feet softly.

She made her way to the edge of the water waiting for the waves that pulled out to come back in and when they did, the coolness of the water soothed her skin.

Euphoria filled her body as she stepped out a little deeper, the water pooling around her ankles calming her completely.

The warmth of the sun contrasted the cool salty water as she lifted her head up to the sky, taking in another deep breath and exhaling out every pent up emotion and memory leaving her in a state of bliss.

The day was calm as she heard the sound of laughter behind her, the sound of her friend calling out her name made her eyebrows knit together.

"Mari look here," a familiar voice called out and she tilted her head to look over her shoulder.

The sight of her two best friends smiling and waving at her with glee on their faces filled her view.

Her hand extended out to wave back to them as she let the muscles on her face pull her lips up into a wide grin.

This is what content felt like, happiness in the simple things around her became prevalent as she watched her friends continuing to smile and wave at her.

Her eyes took in the view of their arms dropping and faces falling, fright now being expressed on their face as they start beckoning her to come back to them.

"Mari come here!"
"Hurry Mari!"
"Don't look back!"
"Mari quick!"

The faint sound of their voices traveled to her as she looked at them with confusion. Her head shifting back to the water behind her where she was met with a large wave coming towards her.

The once cerulean water turned a dark blue as it hung over 20 feet above her- Her eyes widened at the sight.

Mouth dropping as her heart began to speed up expeditiously, thumping in the confidents of her skeleton as she turned around and started running towards the shore.

But she was stuck. Her frantic eyes looked down and saw her feet buried up to her knees.

She could hear her friends telling her to hurry but when she looked up, they were gone.

The impact of the wave behind her crashing into her body sent the girl tumbling under the heavy weight of the wave.

Her body scraping against the harsh sand and coral causing sharp pain to fill her body. The burn of her lungs desiring air became prevalent as she continued to be swept under the sea bed.

The sound of the waves above her stopped abruptly as a ringing replaced the noise, her head coming into contact with a rock caused her vision to go black.