Chapter Nineteen

Alright. So. Technoblade didn't live in the guards quarters anymore. He had a room. A real, not small, actually very big, very ROYAL room in the ROYAL palace.

And he was in this very big very royal room because the very royal king decided it would be a good idea to put him in charge of...hybrid...stuff? Deadly hybrid stuff. As in murder your own people hybrid stuff.

Was he freaking out? No, definitely not. In no way, shape or form, was he freaking out. He didn't even know how to freak out. What a stupid thing to think. Freak out? Him? Pssh.

...

Okay, so he was freaking out.

What else would he do? His plan, his goal, the whole reason he was here was to quietly spy. To get information in a lowkey way. This was not lowkey, not hiding in the shadows to pass on plans. This was throwing himself into the limelight and saying 'hey, look at me!'.

So, this was bad, very bad.

Techno ran a hand through his pale pink locks, sitting on the edge of his new, soft, super fluffy bed.

His heart beat at a rapid pace, as it had been since those words had left Schlatt's lips. He didn't think he knew how to calm his heart down, and honestly, he didn't blame it for going crazy. He was going to have to make a whole new plan, and somehow go along with the humans killing his people without actually killing his people. Oh boy.

He sighed to himself, wracking his brain for answers when the lightbulb instead of his head started to flicker.

Puffy. Puffy would know what to do. He just had to send a letter to Puffy.

In his time being here, he'd only sent her one letter. A short letter, just telling her that he was situated but had no information yet. Shit. He sure did have information now. Maybe not the kind she was wanting to hear, but...

Well. It was all he had. He'd been escorted straight from Schlatt's throneroom to this room and was told by whichever random guard he'd encountered that he'd start his 'new work' tomorrow.

So, it's not like he had anything to do. 

He cleared his throat as he stood up, walking to the mahogany table at the side of his room.

Fresh parchment paper stood in a stack, a quill in an inkpot sat right next to it, as if waiting to be used.

He sat down at the matching seat and picked up the quill. It had been tough to figure out how to send her a letter the first time, but he'd figured it out soon enough. He just had to give the letter to another hybrid in hiding...somewhere in the village, and they would transfer it to her. He'd only figured that out when he'd been out in town once, and had been pulled aside by a random person. He'd tried to shove him away, at first, but quickly recognised the faint magic scent of a disguised hybrid, and had paused.

He had explained to him the process, and after much convincing on the man's part, and much distrust on Techno's, he agreed. So now, he just needed to write it, go off to the village, sneak to where the guy lives, give off the letter and get the hell out of there.

He didn't even know who the hybrid was, just a small in passing name. 'Scott'.

Well, Scott didn't give off bad vibes, but Techno wasn't one to trust someone quickly, even if they were a hybrid, so it'd take him a while to really be sure of the process. Although, Puffy had responded to him, so there was that.

Techno sighed and looked down at the paper again. He grabbed one from the stack and flattened it, grabbing the quill, letting a bit of ink drop back into the pot. The word 'blood' flashed through his mind when he saw it drip, and he squeezed his eyes shut and shook his head, clearing away the random thought. The ink was black. Not red.

He opened his eyes again after a moment, took the quill to the paper, and started to write.

'Dear Puffy,

I'm not entirely sure how to start this letter. I could ask you how you've been without my presence, or how the others are. But that's cringe, and I don't care.

Moving on. Unfortunately, I have to tell you, the news I bring you today is not looking good. Due to me asking questions, King Schlatt has noticed me and has thus given me a rather sudden promotion. Yes, you're now reading through the words written by HOHO. No, not Santa, you know he doesn't exist. I'm talking about 'Head of Hybrid Organisations'. 

Yes, Puffy, you're reading that right. Me, a hybrid, your lovely protogé, head of the very organisation Schlatt runs to kill our people.

I can't find a highlight in this news. I am unsure of what to do. How can I stay here and be in charge of murder? I know I may seem to like the darker things in life, but I don't want this.

And I hate to admit it, but I need your opinion.

I need your help.

I hope you write to me soon, Puffy. I await your response.

Signed,

Technoblade'

Techno read over the letter a couple of times, waiting for the ink to dry properly. Once it did, he grabbed the stamp and pushed wax onto the folded letter, sealing it together with the symbol of the Lmanberg kingdom.

He glanced out the window, and despite knowing it was dark, considered going down to the village. 

He pondered it for a moment before he physically shook his head. No, it was too late. He'd have to wait until tomorrow for the chance to slip down to the village.

He placed the letter on his table, moving over to the bed, before he hesitated, looking back at it. Best not to leave it out in the open. Just in case.

He slipped his jacket off and buried the letter into one of the inside pockets, hanging it over the chair.

Yeah, good enough.

As quick as he could, he got changed into his sleeping clothes and slipped into the soft bed.

He leaned up and pulled the side of the gas lamp, turning the light off. The candle glow stopped, and Techno sighed, laying down.

He stared at the dark ceiling, trying to make out the shapes, almost defiant to sleep. He didn't belong here, he shouldn't sleep in their fancy beds.

And yet...it was so comfortable, and he was so tired...so without his consent, sleep pulled him into its grasp and his breathing slowed to the sound of silence.

 x - x - x - x - x - x - x -  x - x - x - x - x - x - x -  x - x - x - x - x - x - x -  x - x - x - x

Hello friends!!

 Oh boy, I keep saying that I'll pick up updates quicker every chapter but I never do lmao. The chapters will come when they come, I guess.

Although, the holidays start for me in a couple of days, and then I'll have nearly 3 weeks off school, so I have the feeling my updates may pick up a bit then.

Ah anyway. Hope you enjoyed it! I really appreciate you guys, and I thrive off your comments lmao

Have a nice arvo, night, day or morning, wherever you are!

Happy reading!!

(17/6/21)

Co-posted on ao3