Chapter Eighteen

"I hear you've been asking questions." Schlatt basically purred out, dark eyebrow-raising as he stared intently at Technoblade.

Oh fuck. Okay. Do not panic Techno. Panicking equals rash decisions which equals mission failure. Don't fucking panic.

Techno tried to keep the plain look on his face, indicating none of his emotions, and Schlatt hummed.

"Silence doesn't suit you well, Techie." Schlatt teased, and Techno bristled at the nickname.

"Don't call me that." he growled, and Schlatt raised an eyebrow.

"What? Don't like the nickname?"

Techno did not respond, instead, he only deepened his glare. Schlatt continued to look at him for a moment, before he sighed deeply and leaned back into his chair, or rather, throne and kicked up one leg on top of the other. 

Schlatt sighed softly and started to fidget with a solid gold ring, one that was pointed and stretched up the length of his pointer finger.

"I don't like it when my guards ask questions, Techie," he started, "honestly, it really grinds my gears...you should be grateful I'm so forgiving."

Techno wished more than anything he was in his stronger hybrid form right now because then he could throw this asshole across the room.

They continued to make eye contact when Techno smelled something different in the air.

His senses weren't as good when he was posing as a human, but they were still better than most non-magicals, and right now- well, right now he could smell magic.

But it wasn't his. It couldn't be Schlatt, because 1. it was such a faint smell, and 2. Schlatt's goal was to kill all hybrids, so that ruled out it being him.

Was there some other kind of magic he did not know about? As far as he was aware, all magic that existed was either connected to merfolk or hybrids, or on some rarer occasions, magic benders, but those were basically unheard of, just like the existence of hybrids was by humans.

Schlatt stared at him in a sinister sort of curiosity, and Techno realised in him trying to figure out the origin of the smell, he'd stopped giving attention to Schlatt.

He cleared his throat, and Schlatt sighed, once more, and then sat up properly in his chair, leaning forward again.

"Alright. You like to ask questions about hybrids, hmm?" Schlatt stated, and Techno did not give him the satisfaction of a response, but his eyes flicked up at the statement.

"Yes, well...if you're so interested in them...I have been needing a new head of organising that stuff..." he trailed off, staring at the roof, "and I have heard how you exceed expectations in your training...alright, I'll bite."

Techno raised an eyebrow, and Schlatt chuckled to himself.

"You, my dear Techie, have just been promoted to head of hybrid organisations, or HOHO if you will."

Techno's eyes widened. Him? Head of the hybrid organisation Schlatt's got going on in this castle? Him, head of the very guards and humans that kill his people? What the fuck?

He bit the inside of his cheek for a moment, before saying "HOHO?"

Schlatt laughed, "I like funny names for my things! Keeps the days from being dull."

Techno did not laugh alongside him.

Schlatt almost pouted for a second, before he sighed.

"Of course, you have to keep this on the down-low. Just tell your little...guard friends, or whatever, that you've been promoted to a confidential security position. Hmm, sounds important, doesn't it?"

Techno paused, trying to find the right words to say.

"And if I decline?" he muttered, after a moment, and he watched Schlatt's face shift from a carefree look to a huge grin.

He leaned forward, face close to Techno, and grabbed his chin, golden rings poking his skin.

"Oh that's just it Techie," he murmured, "you don't."

He stared at Techno for a moment, before deciding he got the idea across, and leaned back, brushing his hand on his pants.

Techno rubbed the spot on his chin that the pointed golden ring had punctured, and as he looked down he noticed a small speck of blood had shown up on his finger.

"Well, Techie, I have to say I honestly just cannot wait to see what ideas you bring to the table!" he clicked his fingers, and the large doors swung open, two guards walking in.

"I'll let those two show you the ropes." he gestured for Techno to leave, and after a moment of hesitance, the pink-haired man did so.

He followed after the two guards, thoughts racing a thousand miles a second until Schlatt called out.

"Oh, and Techie?" Techno turned around, "remember, one dead hybrid is minuscule, one dead hybrid civilisation is...an achievement." and with that, Techno left, blood boiling and stomach-churning.

x - x - x - x - x - x - x - x - x - x - x - x - x - x - x - x - x - x - x - x - x - x - x - x - x - x - x - x

Hello friends!! Okay yes I know this is a short chapter, but I couldn't figure out how to make it longer, so here have this morsel of content lmao.

Oh boy have I had an eVENTFUL weekend! 

Hope you enjoyed it!

-Ghost <3

(8/6/21)

Co-posted on ao3