Chapter Nine

Techno yawned loudly as he woke up. Sunlight flashed against his skin and he reached an arm up to cover his eyes from the bright rays. His back and neck ached and with a start, he realised he'd fallen asleep against the tree last night.

He sighed, rubbing his neck as he looked at his surroundings. There was nobody around. This was somewhat odd, considering he'd assumed someone would have woken him up when it was time to sleep or had moved him...something along the lines of that. But no, they'd left him there. He huffed to himself slightly at the thought. Typical.

Standing up, he stretched, joints popping as he ran a hand through his pale pink hair.

He glanced around but all he could see was smoke coming from some abandoned campfires from the previous night. They were set up in pits so they could easily light them every week, but whenever Techno showed up they usually already had a crowd, so he never spent much time there.

He sighed, starting to make the walk back to his hut to change into some fresh clothes, when he picked up whispering. His ears flicked upwards, angling towards the sound, and he narrowed his eyes.

Curiosity was bad. It killed the cat, or whatever the saying was.

Then again, Techno wasn't a cat.

He turned towards where the whispering was coming from, and realised it was from behind a group of trees, a little way off the pathway.

He got as close as he could without being seen, and angled an ear up again so he could hear better.

"What do you mean....breached....safety camp?" a hushed voice whispered, Techno only being able to pick up parts of the sentence.

"It's gone.....completely wiped out....looking for the sanctuary..."

Techno's eyes widened, one of their safety camps had been breached? They were small and set up over the kingdoms, and they were just acting as small camps to take shelter in on the way to the sanctuary. This wasn't good.

"...haven't found the sanctuary.....worried." Techno bit his lip. He was the co-leader of the guard, it was his job to know this stuff, why hadn't they told him?

...Were they trying to keep it a secret?

"Puffy," one of the voices murmured, and Techno's eyes widened, "....not good."

"I know that." the other voice snapped, becoming louder, and Techno could finally recognise it as the sheep hybrid's voice.

When had she arrived back?

They continued whispering, and Techno gulped. He quietly slunk away from the two before he heard anything else and made his way back to the pathway, thoughts running wild throughout his mind.

The threat that Schlatt's kingdom possessed was becoming even stronger, if it was so bad now, what would it be like in the future? How could he possibly help? He was just a pig hybrid, no one special, there was no way he could protect everyone from the humans.

Techno wasn't sure when he'd started calling them humans and seperating himself from them. When he'd first arrived at the sanctuary, he'd refused for a while to admit to himself that he was one of them. He wanted to believe he was still normal, but now he knew that wasn't so. 

Techno wasn't sure what to do. How was he supposed to bring up help and ideas without giving away the fact that he knew? Like, 'oh, sorry Puffy, I was hiding behind a tree like a creep while I listened to your conversation'.

No, he couldn't say anything. He just had to play his cards right and act nonchalant.

He ran a hand through his pale pink hair and bit the inside of his cheek.

As he neared towards his hut that had become a safe spot for him, he sat down on the edge of the stairs that led up to his door. Dust shifted after he sat, and he crinkled his nose as some of it got in, causing him to sneeze.

He bit his lip as thoughts swirled throughout his mind. Surely not all humans were bad? Maybe they could figure some sort of agreement out, or recruit more humans onto their side? Techno sighed, no, Puffy would never allow that. She was too proud to accept help from her enemies, even if not all of them were against her.

Techno thought about his family. Maybe they would be up to helping? Surely their blood relation would mean something? Then again, he'd disappeared without a trace, so they'd have to hold some sort of hatred towards him. Still, maybe they could look past it, he was still their family, he was still the same. Except...well, he wasn't the same. He was a hybrid, not a human. His family was better off without him, without a monster.

He sighed, running a hand through his hair yet again, when someone sat next to him.

He glanced over to see Eret sitting next to him, and he offered them a small gruff smile.

Eret smiled in return as they sat together, looking around the village as people went about their day.

They sat for probably about five minutes before Eret turned to him and sighed. 

"What's bothering you, Tech?" the cockatoo hybrid asked, and Techno had to fight off a smile at the sound of his nickname. The other's had gotten to just calling him Techno over the years, but Eret always called him Tech. It was endearing.

"Er, well, it's not exactly something I can tell you." Techno mumbled, and Eret hummed. They were obviously used to Techno keeping things to himself, and didn't seem put off by his deflection.

"Is there anyway I can help?" Eret asked, and Techno sighed.

"No, probably not."

"Is there anyone you can talk to about it?"

"...No."

"Well then maybe you should find someone you can talk to about it." Eret suggested, wings ruffling up slightly against the wind.

Techno snorted, "Open up to someone? Cringe."

Eret rolled their eyes, giving Techno a pat on the back as they stood up.

"You can talk to me."

Techno did not respond, and the other sighed.

"One day you're actually going to ask me for advice, and I'm going to laugh because it took you so long." Eret mused, and Techno rolled his eyes.

"Unlikely." he deadpanned, and Eret laughed, before they made their way away from Techno.

That was to be expected. Techno wasn't the kind of person people wanted to spend a lot of time with, he wasn't surprised that Eret got sick and tired of his monotone answers.

He sighed, running a hand through his hair, a habit he seemed to be doing more often than not, and stood up to get dressed for training.

If there was one thing he could do to get this off his mind, it was sparring.

x - x - x - x - x - x - x - x - x - x - x - x - x - x - x - x - x - x - x - x - x - x - x - x - x - x - x - x - x

Hello friends. I am so sorry it took so long to get another chapter out. You see, a few weeks ago, I got quite sick and I was unable to write another chapter. A few days ago I started to feel a bit better, and so I started slowly writing bits and pieces. I'm mostly better now, so the updates should be back on schedule soon! Thank you so much for your patience, I love all of you very much <3

Happy reading!

-Bee <3

(17/3/21)

Co-posted on ao3