Chapter Four

Techno was slowly becoming more comfortable at this sanctuary. He'd been there for about a week now but had not encountered Puffy again.

It's like she'd just blipped out of existence, and when he'd tried to ask Eret about it, they'd just smiled and said that she liked to go off for days on end.

That was weird, Techno had thought, but he'd brushed it off. He didn't care what she did with her time, he just needed her to actually be here and teach him about being a hybrid, which was the only reason he'd stayed.

He had half the mind after not seeing her for a week to just fuck off and find his way home, but then he'd remembered that he, unfortunately, wasn't able to transform and that it was not a choice for him.

So he just had to wait. Which was entirely frustrating, because Techno liked to get things done.

Currently, he was peeling potatoes, because he'd come to find out that the sanctuary members all ate together and all took turns with jobs.

His hands were starting to ache after doing it for so long, and he sighed happily when he put the last peeled potato on the pile.

Callahan, the oldest of their little group, walked past and nodded in approvement. Techno huffed slightly and made his way over to the table.

It was an odd setup, and the sanctuary seemed to really like the outdoors. The table was stretched so far, and it was accompanied by two others like it. It was in another clearing (seriously, how many clearings in this forest scape were there?), and the only cover from natures forces were some shade sails hanging above them, tied to the trees.

Instead of chairs, they had little wooden stumps from trees, but Techno wasn't complaining.

Despite the outdoorsy way of living, it was peaceful. There was something serene about being one with the wild. Techno snorted to himself, well, it wasn't really 'wild' when you had huts and utensils and things like that, but it was wilder than how he'd previously lived, so that's what he was going with.

He thought for a moment about his family. Were they worried? How long had it taken them to realise he was gone? Were they okay?

Techno narrowed his eyes, resting his head in his hands.

He couldn't think about this. It would just make him more stressed. He had to get better, and then he could go home. They wouldn't have to worry much longer. As long as he actually managed to find Puffy, that was.

"Technoblade!" a voice snapped him out of his thoughts, and he whipped his head to the side, where Eret was sat next to him, waving their hand in his face to get his attention.

"Heh?" he asked, raising an eyebrow, and Eret rolled their eyes.

"I was asking if you were okay." they asked, and Techno cleared his throat.

"I'm fine."

Eret raised an eyebrow and stared at him for a moment longer, but shrugged it off.

"If you say so, buddy." 

Techno had to fight the urge to flinch at the word 'buddy'. He was not their buddy. He was no one's buddy. 

Techno's eyes wandered over to the edge of the clearing that led a path to the main and largest clearing where all the huts were. There were only a few trees in between the two, unlike the other one that he'd walked down a week before to that large tree.

He'd found out from some hybrid who he hadn't cared to ask the name of that each Friday night they'd all gather at the tree and celebrate.

What they were celebrating, he didn't know.

He glanced over to the tree and saw the cheetah hybrid from before- Foolish, he thinks his name was. Foolish tilted his head to the side when Techno made eye contact with him.

They stared at each other for a moment before Foolish bit his lip, disappearing into the forest.

Techno blinked in surprise.

Well, that was weird.

A little while later, dinner was ready, and Techno made his way along with the others holding a plate and scraping bits of food onto it.

He'd be honest when he'd say that even for a sanctuary hidden from those trying to murder its inhabitants, they sure fed everyone well.

The food he'd eaten throughout the past week had been tastier and more filling than anything he'd ever eaten at home.

His family used all their money on having a stable (albeit small) house, and they never got the chance to splurge it on good food.

Techno was used to the feeling of being hungry a lot, so this was a relief.

Although he did feel incredibly guilty at the fact that he was eating so well when his father and brothers were not, he told himself that he was strengthening himself up to leave.

He'd be no help starved.

He sat down lightly, placing his plate on the wooden table and glancing to the side. The group that Velvet had introduced him to had somehow attached themselves to him, following him around and trying to include him. They'd basically forced him into being a member of their group, but he hadn't really fought it.

It would be better to make acquaintances so that he had some support if anything went wrong.

Were they his friends? No, absolutely not. Was their company often annoying? Yes, most definitely. Did he stay with them anyway? Also yes.

After eating (which was a whole new experience to get used to, considering his two new tusks), Techno half-listened to the conversation they were having about humans. It was some talk about Schlatt and his growing threat, which Techno had been interested in, but it had soon turned to dissing humans, and considering he thought he'd been one up until last week, he decided he didn't want to listen to their harsh words.

He was sitting there, absentmindedly scratching the wood with his now sharper nails, when movement along the edge of the forest made him look up.

It was Foolish, again. The teen was always just hovering around, and if someone mentioned it, he'd laugh and just kind of weave back into the crowd. Odd, but Techno had seen weirder things.

He was standing in the same spot he'd been earlier, and was watching Techno, his long dotted tail flicking back and forth.

Techno made eye contact with him and watched the teen smile. He gestured with his head to the forest, and Techno guessed that meant he wanted Techno to follow him.

His ears flicked back a little warily but stood up anyway.

The others were too deep in conversation to notice him slip off.

Good. He was no good at making excuses on the spot.

He made his way over to Foolish, who continued to look at him with a concerning smile, and Techno huffed.

"What's up?" he asked, and Foolish's ears flicked.

Instead of saying anything, he turned around and disappeared into the forest.

Techno raised an eyebrow, glancing back at the group still sitting far off on the table, and sighed, following after the teen.

"If I get murdered," he muttered under his breath, "I'll be pissed."

x - x - x - x - x - x - x - x - x - x - x - x - x - x - x - x - x - x - x - x - x - x - x - x - x - x - x - x - x

Hello friends!! I'm so sorry for not posting last night, and for this chapter being a little later than usual.

It's been a rough couple of days, I'll admit, and it took me way longer than usual to find the energy to actually write this lmao.

Anyway-

Happy reading!!

-Bee <3

(26/2/21)

Co-posted on ao3