Chapter Eleven

When Techno had thought he wouldn't get a wink of sleep that night, he was almost correct. In fact, he did manage to sleep, but only for around an hour, nowhere near enough to give him the energy he should have.

Unease and a small bit of anticipation swirled through his gut when he awoke, and he found himself getting energy from that rather than sleep. He rubbed his eyes with a heavy sigh and shuffled to sit on the side of his bed. 

The 19-year-old sat quietly for a moment, choosing to listen to the sounds of birds chirping in the morning sky outside his hut before he pushed himself off the bed and moved towards his leather trunk. Corpse had given it to him as a present after he'd been at the sanctuary for a few months, as it wasn't very easy to have clean clothes when he didn't have anywhere to put them. The trunk was small enough that he could take it places if he wished but big enough to fit all of his clothes and coats. Then again, he didn't really have many clothes.

He had a few pairs of t-shirts, pants, socks, underwear, a coat and that was about all that was folded in the trunk.

Techno glanced to the side after getting dressed, clicking the lock shut on the trunk when he looked at his big red coat. The one that constantly hung up on his clothes rack, the one he rarely ever wore, in fear of ruining it.

He moved over towards it, running a hand through the rich red colouring, and bit his lip. The white fluff that lined it made it look royal, and he knew he'd attract a lot of (unwanted) attention if he wore it around here, or around the guards.

He couldn't just leave it here though...with a sigh, he gently picked it up and opened up his trunk again. Due to the lack of variety in his clothes, there was plenty of room to fold it in, so he did so with careful hands.

Satisfied, he shut the trunk once more. He attached his holster with his sword to his belt and made his way out of the hut, trunk in hand.

He looked at his hut once more, taking in the details of the room (one he might never see again), and sighed.

"Farewell, friend." he murmured and shut the door with a click.

Techno wasn't supposed to leave until night- it was much easier to travel away from the sanctuary under the cover of darkness, so he made his way to the training grounds where the meeting room existed. 

He tried to let himself relax as he walked through the familiar forest, sighing in content as he watched the sunlight filter through the leaves, creating a ripple effect on the ground.

The forest-scent invaded his nostrils, and he relished in the smell of the earth as he moved steadily forward. His ears angled up so he could hear all the sounds. After all, he didn't know when he'd get to do this again.

Maybe never. The thought burst into his mind, and he winced. It was entirely probable that something could happen to him when he was gone, and he had to think of the logical side of what was going on. Unfortunately, being logical meant he had to be realistic. And being realistic meant admitting to himself that he might die on this mission.

He was going to be mingling with the very humans trying to wipe out his race, and if he was found out...well, he didn't think he'd live to see the next morning. Sure, he was chosen because of his fighting skills, but how much good would that do him when all of the guards were fighting against him? Techno may be strong, but he can't fight a whole army.

He breathed out heavily, calming himself as he tried to wash the thoughts away. He neared the training grounds, putting his trunk on a wooden bench, and raised an eyebrow when he saw Eret, Corpse, Puffy, and surprisingly Velvet waiting for him when he got there.