Chapter Ten

Technoblade wasn't really one for abrupt awakenings. He generally liked to wake up naturally, without someone shoving him off his bed.

Unfortunately for him, he seemed to find himself on the floor.

He awoke with a start and looked up to see Corpse and Puffy leaning over him. He scrambled back, knocking his head on his bedside table and he groaned in pain. He brought a hand to his head and rubbed it, while Puffy rolled her eyes.

"The hell are you doing?" Techno asked, pulling himself to his feet as he leaned back against the wall.

Puffy gave him a tight-lipped smile, "Meeting. Five minutes. Get dressed." she muttered, patting Corpse on the back, and he followed after her as they left Techno alone.

Techno sighed to himself, rubbing his tired face. He changed quickly, not wanting to waste time, and exited just two minutes after the sheep-hybrid and rabbit-hybrid had left.

He ran a hand through his hair as he looked around, seeing that it was in the early hours of the morning, probably just a couple hours from sunrise, if he had to guess. Bright stars sparkled across the night sky, and if Techno wasn't in a rush, he might have taken a moment to admire them.

He moved through the grass silently, green earring glinting in the pale moonlight as he tried not to wake anyone up.

Puffy and Corpse were nowhere to be seen, so he had to assume they were at the office. It was a room that their military used for briefings and talking, so he made his way over to the forest.

He walked along the pathway, twigs crunching beneath him and sword dangling from his belt in a holster. He sighed and saw his breath fog up the air in front of him before disappearing as it melted into the night sky. 

Soon enough, he'd gotten to the office, and he pushed against it with his large hand, swinging it open.

Puffy and Corpse stood at the end of the table, maps strewn over it as they stared down at letters.

Techno coughed to announce he was there, and their heads snapped up, almost simultaneously. If it had been any other circumstance, he'd have made a comment about how creepy it looked.

Instead, he walked over, stopping a few steps away from them, wary.

Puffy sighed, running a hand through her curly white hair, hat not on. It was placed on the table, and he had to assume she'd taken it off due to stress.

"You going to explain why you pushed me off my bed at midnight and made me walk in to your ominous little meeting?" Techno asked.

Corpse cleared his throat, "It's 3am, not midnight."

Techno raised an eyebrow, "That doesn't make much of a difference."

Puffy sighed again, and tapped her finger against the wood, thinking.

"Let me get through this quickly, then," she started, "our safety camps have been breached, our inside man has been killed, and now we're even more under the threat of Schlatt finding us."

Techno's mouth opened slightly, to retort that he already knew a part of this information, but he quickly shut it, knowing better.

His mind raced as he thought about the fact that someone had been killed.

"One of us is dead?" he murmured, and Corpse ran a hand over his face.

"We're not entirely sure if he's dead, but knowing Schlatt, it's highly likely. All contact has been cut off, and he sent a threatening message to one of our safety camps before he burnt it to the ground."

"And that message was..?"

"The owl says goodnight." Puffy murmured, and Techno gulped.

"I'm going to assume he was an owl hybrid?" he questioned, and Puffy nodded slowly.

Techno bit the inside of his cheek, "I didn't even know we had someone on the inside."

"Not many did. He wasn't built to fight, he was just supposed to be a messenger, he never should have..." Puffy trailed off, and Techno nodded, saving her from having to explain anything else.

After a moment of silence, he cleared his throat.

"Alright, look, as much as I'm glad you're finally letting me into the loop on this shit, I know I'm not here just to listen. What is it exactly that you want from me?" he questioned, and Puffy and Corpse exchanged a look.

Puffy sighed, "You always were smart, kid."

Techno did not respond.

"Without our guy on the inside...we're vulnerable," Puffy murmured, and Corpse nodded.

"We can't make the same mistake as last time. We need someone who can hold their own to do the job, if worst comes to worst we don't want another dead hybrid on our hands." Corpse said, deep voice cracking slightly when he mentioned 'dead hybrid'.

Techno was silent for a moment, confusion swirling around him beofre his eyes widened. Dread curled around his stomach, and a chill snaked up his spine.

"You want me to do it." he said, Puffy and Corpse looking at him sadly.

"We need you to do it." Puffy murmured firmly, and Techno ran a hand through his pale pink locks.

This was a big thing they were asking him to do. He'd be putting his life on the line, going straight into the lair of the enemy. He could say no, he could refuse, he had every right...but hybrids were dying. He couldn't just sit there and do nothing, knowing that he could have helped stop it.

After a moment, he looked up at the two, eyes flickering between them, before he nodded.

"Alright, I'm in." he muttered, and Puffy breathed a sigh of relief, and Corpse averted his eyes.

"You leave tomorrow night, then. We'll go over the details when you've woken up." Puffy said, and Techno sighed.

He didn't say anything else to the two, just held his coat tighter against his body and left, walking back to his hut, ready to sleep. He let out a heavy breath in the cold night air. That was wishful thinking. He knew he would not get a wink of sleep tonight.

He clenched his eyes shut for a moment as he walked, then fluttered them open, staring at the stars.

His hand instinctually went up to his earring, the emerald gift from his father, and he rubbed his finger over it softly.

"I've never needed you more than I do now." he murmured into the air, but there was no response. That was to be expected. He was by himself in the forest. His father was nowhere near here. He was truly and miserably alone.

x - x - x - x - x - x - x - x - x - x - x - x - x - x - x - x - x - x - x - x - x - x - x - x - x - x - x - x - x - x - x

Hello friends!! Sorry it's been a few days, i'm still trying to get back into the update schedule lol.

Hope you enjoyed !! :))

-Bee <3

(21/3/21)

Co-posted on ao3