Chapter Sixteen

Techno was awoken abruptly from his sleep by someone clicking their fingers over his face. He snapped up immediately, grabbing onto the unknown hand and twisting it, causing the person attached to it to yelp.

Techno quickly rushed to his senses, realising he was grabbing onto someone, and quickly let them go. He glanced up to look at them and realised it was Charlie, who was cradling his wounded hand with a frown.

Techno winced, "Sorry."

Charlie stared at him for a moment, before smiling slightly and letting out an airy chuckle.

"No worries, uh, nice reflexes."

Techno nodded, and Charlie swung his arms awkwardly at his sides.

"So..?" Techno prompted, wondering why Charlie had woken him up, and the main went "OH!"

"Right, sorry, I'm supposed to wake you up for breakfast."

Techno raised an eyebrow, looking out the window, and realised it was very early in the morning. He sighed, nodding, and Charlie departed, moving into the other room.

Techno quickly got dressed into his training clothes, assuming that was what would be happening after they ate, and made his way over, running his hand through his hair.

In doing this, he realised that it was about halfway down his neck. Probably braid-able.

He sighed to himself, rubbing his tired face. Not like he had anyone to braid it though.

He pushed the door open, walked down the hall, and saw the others crowded over a medium-sized table, and he raised an eyebrow.

"Where are the rest of the guards? Don't they live here too? I've seen their rooms."

Minx laughed, "Yeah, we all live here, but most of the others choose to eat in another area." she gestured to their cupboards and tiny pantry, "We like to get food from there and stock it up here. Less walking, and we can wake up later."

Techno hummed, sitting down next to Ponk, and poured some cereal and milk into a bowl. It was pretty plain, but honestly quite different. In the sanctuary, they usually ate an assortment of fruits with all their food or meat, never just plain cereal. He wasn't complaining though, as he was really hungry.

He sat in silence as he ate, listening to the other's conversations about random things that happened on duty, or something of the sort.

Once they'd finished, he followed Sykkuno and the others to the training grounds, pairing into twos to spar. He got paired with Punz, who must have been very surprised when they started fighting, because Techno absolutely wiped the floor with him.

Charlie, Minx, Punz, Ponk and Sykkuno stared at him with wide eyes, and Techno slightly leaned on the bamboo stick they'd been practising with.

"How..." Sykkuno started but trailed off, not sure what to say. 

Techno rubbed the back of his neck, "Uh, I've had some experience."

They continued to stare at him before Minx let out a slow whistle, grinning.

"Okay, tallboy, I think you'll fit in here just fine." she said, and Techno cleared his throat, nodding, letting the ghost of a smile flick over his face.

------

Techno had been at the castle almost a week now and had been on two different patrols. Initially, everyone had thought they'd have to train him for a while, but as they quickly learned, he was very experienced, so after a few days, he got to join them.

It was nothing special, just patrols around the village, but it was peaceful. Unfortunately for Techno, peace wasn't what he needed. He had to find out about Schlatt's plans, but he wasn't sure how he was supposed to. 

He figured he could just mention it to someone in their patrol group, but how would he even bring it up? Like, 'hello, do you happen to know anything suspicious about Schlatt?'.

Oh. Well, actually, that was a good place to start.

He sighed, glancing over at Sykkuno as the lot of them walked back from the village.

"Sykkuno?" he asked, and said man turned to him, a smile on his face, "Yeah?"

"Do you happen to know anything about...well...any weird plans Schlatt has?" he asked, trying to make his voice sound curious, rather than urgent.

Sykkuno looked at him weirdly, glancing back at Minx, who stared at him with an odd look, and Techno rushed to give an excuse.

"Well, I just heard some other guards muttering when I walked past, just wanted to know."

Sykkuno raised an eyebrow, "What did you hear them say?"

Techno blanched, unsure of how much he should reveal, but decided to just go with it.

"Er, hybrids."

Sykkuno's eyes widened, and Techno heard Charlie clear his throat from behind him.

"Uh, well, now that you mention it, lots of guards have been going outside of the borders recently," he started, shoving his hands into his pockets, nervous all of a sudden, "none of us are really sure why Schlatt's sending them there, but they're all more important guards, so we don't really get to know," he continued, frowning, "but if you say you heard something about hybrids...well, that'd be interesting. I mean, we've all heard rumours that they exist, but we never really...knew. Maybe Schlatt's looking for them? If they even are real, I mean."

Okay, so Techno had accidentally told a group of humans about hybrids when they hadn't even been suspicious about that idea yet, whoops. 

Techno cleared his throat, "And if they were real? What would you think about them?" he asked, and silence hung heavy in the air for a moment.

"Er, well, I dunno," Minx started, "It'd be kinda cool, I guess. Not much of a difference between us though, just some weird animal features, kind of like mermaids, right?"

Techno had to fight the urge to narrow his eyes at 'just some weird animal features'. They were enhanced, they played with magic, they weren't just some freaks of nature! Still, it was less hateful than he was expecting.

Punz nodded, but then shrugged, "We're probably just reading too much into this. Technoblade, it was most likely a rumour that you heard. I wouldn't worry, hybrids probably aren't real. Now let's go eat lunch, I'm hungry." he said, changing the subject, and the others nodded, murmuring agreements about their grumbling stomachs.

Techno sighed, following after them. It was odd because it didn't seem like the others really cared that much about hybrids. He was under the assumption that all humans who even had an idea that hybrids might exist would hate their guts, just based on his experiences and what Puffy had told him...but these guys just seemed...unbothered by it.

Techno wasn't entirely sure how he felt about it, but he decided he'd dwell on it later, as he followed the others to go make some sandwiches.

x - x - x - x - x - x - x - x - x - x - x - x - x - x - x - x - x - x - x - x - x - x - x - x - x - x - x - x

Hello friends!! Hope you enjoyed the chapter! We're starting to get into the good stuff now, ehehehe.

Happy reading!! Thanks for your sweet comments! Love yoUu <3

-Ghost <3

(23/4/21)

Co-posted on ao3