08

"Right, this is an emergency meeting. We won't stand on formalities." Reyna announced, standing at the podium looking very important in her purple cape and toga.

Delilah was currently sitting in the Senate with the other Senators in the front row of the semicircle. Gwen and Nico di Angelo were sat to her right, and Percy, Hazel and Frank on her left as her quest companions.

"But I love formatlities!" A ghost argued back, though was silenced by Reyna's wolf-like glare. 

"First of all," Reyna continued, "we're not here to vote on the quest itself. The quest has been issued by Mars Ultor, patron of Rome. We will obey his wishes. Nor are we here to debate the choice of Frank Zhang's companions."

"Four from the Fifth? That's not fair!" Hank called out. The Third Cohort Senator was always complaining. Just because he had only ever been on one quest, which had ended miserably by the way.

"And not smart." Larry next to him added. "We know the Fifth will mess up. They should take somebody good."

Delilah rolled her eyes at this. "Shut up, Larry. We were good enough to kick your podex last night! And it's not like it'll be three newbies, I'll be going with them, and I have more experience than you and Hank combined."

"Delilah! Enough." Reyna gave her a tired, impatient look. She couldn't do with any petty arguing today, and Delilah wasn't helping with that. She took a deep breath before continuing, "As quest leader, Frank has the right to choose his companions. He has chosen Delilah Edan, Percy Jackson and Hazel Levesque."

"Absurdus! Frank Zhang isn't even a full member of the Legion! He's on probatio. A quest must be led by someone of Centurion rank or higher. Delilah Edan, for instance-" Cato, the ghost of the legendary Roman Senator, yelled.

"Cato, this quest was given to Frank. Not me." Delilah protested, waving her hand at the notion.

"Yes. We must obey the wishes of Mars Ultor. That means certain... adjustments." Reyna explained tiredly to the ghost. 

She then clapped her hands, leading Octavian to step forward with a package. "Frank Zhang." He said. "Come forward."

Frank nervously stood and approached Octavian, who carried on uncomfortably, "It is my... pleasure to bestow upon you the Mural Crown for being first over the walls in siege warfare." Frank was given the bronze badge, matching Delilah's own. "Also, by order of Praetor Reyna, to promote you to the rank of Centurion."

The Senate instantly exploded in uproar. Shouts were heard: he's still a probie; impossible; water cannon up my nose! She even heard Michael's booming voice from across the crowd of people, protesting that Frank hadn't been at camp long enough.

Delilah was just confused. Frank was a member of the Fifth, which already had their two Centurions. Which meant that one of them was about to be replaced. Had she done something wrong? Was she in trouble? A feeling of fear bubbled in her stomach. She looked over to Gwen, who looked strangely calm, and suddenly the pieces fell into place. 

"Silence!" Octavian shouted, in that commanding voice he reserved for the Senate. "Our Praetor recognises that no one below the rank of Centurion may lead a quest. For good or ill, Frank must lead this quest - so our Praetor has decreed that Frank Zhang must be made Centurion."

Something about the wording of that statement made Delilah scowl. He was essentially putting all the blame on Reyna and distancing himself from it all, using his influence in the Senate to get the point across before Reyna could. She could see Reyna's look of irritation as she clearly understood what Octavian was trying to say here.