interlude (hostage)

"i see you everywhere, in the stars, in the river, to me you're everything that exists, the reality of everything." - Virginia Woolf

" - Virginia Woolf

She was shaken awake when she felt his arms wrap around her, her back against his chest, his face pressed into the crook of her neck

Burrowing deeper into his embrace, she tried to remain still, to quiet the storm of emotions raging inside of her. She didn't want to rush him, to push him beyond his limits. He would speak if he wanted to.

She felt guilty, so guilty for the anger and worry she'd caused him. For creating a barrier that had otherwise never been present between them through her actions. His anger had never persisted for this long. She hadn't experienced it from him before, in fact, she was the one who'd held onto her anger in the beginning, to distance herself, to keep her heart safe.

What a joke that had been.

"I love you too," he whispered into her skin, holding onto her tighter, before continuing, "I love you too, and I forgive you. I was just scared Thea. I came home in a panic because I felt someone tearing into my neck, and I knew you'd been hurt, only to find Elena kneeling next your body. And you weren't moving."

She turned to him slowly, raising her eyes to his, watching the pain that filtered into his icy gaze. "I pushed Elena out once I noticed that Rose was hallucinating. I knew I'd heal, but she's human and she would have died. I just didn't expect to be so tired, and for her to be so strong. She pushed straight through my barrier, and bit me. I couldn't really do much after that. And she was already in so much pain, I just didn't want to add to it." She whispered back.

"If we weren't connected. If I hadn't known for a fact that your were alright, I would have thought you'd died. For a single second, I did. And nothing has hurt more than that. Nothing in my entire life, could compare to what I felt for that single moment where I thought you were gone."

She closed her eyes in regret, feeling a fresh onslaught of tears in them, as she breathed out a shaky "I'm so sorry Damon."

"I know," he murmured, pressing his forehead against her own. "I know you're sorry. And I'm sorry too. I'm sorry I pushed you away, I just didn't want to say anything I may regret later."