Chapter 72: Apart And Distraught

Bắt đầu từ đầu

He didn't look as happy and free as he usually was. Something was wrong.

"Hey, Kyle. Is everything okay?" I asked him, turning my attention to him completely. He stood on the other side of the desk with his hands on the clear surface.

He shook his head no. "Jay's in trouble and I thought you might wanna know about it in case something goes wrong and just so that you're updated."

My heart reacted to the news first, skipping a beat upon hearing that the man who had stolen it was in trouble and it regained its beats, but only at an uneven pace that made my chest ache.

I put my hands on my chest and looked straight at Kyle, panic crawling up my neck. "Is he hurt? Did something happen to him?"

At this point, I could fall unconscious because the way my head was spinning with different possibilities of what kind of trouble he was in was totally insane. The thought of him not being okay bubbled up inexplicable feelings of fear within me.

"Sweetheart, relax. Come on. Sit down and take a deep breath," Kyle advised, moving to my side of the desk. He grasped me gently by my shoulders and made me sit down in my chair.

Kyle squatted before me and he rotated my chair so that I'd looked at him. "Hey, take a deep breath, okay? Don't freak out. He's okay, but just in a bit of a mess."

I closed my eyes and took a deep breath. It wasn't helping. All I could see was him in some sort of a big problem. Kyle held my hands instead and he looked up at me.

"Don't freak out. It's nothing too big not to be solved. Just some fucked up psycho who wants to ruin his reputation."

I took another deep breath and tried to get a hold of my emotions. If he was in trouble, then I had to be strong for him. "What happened?" I asked Kyle, boldness crawling into my voice. I had to brace myself for this and support him.

"You good now?" he asked me squeezing my hands gently.

I nodded, swallowing a painful lump that had lodged in my throat. "As long as he's alive."

"Don't worry. He's alive and okay. Otherwise, I wouldn't be standing here right now," he assured me with a smile of assurance on his lips.

"So tell me what happened already. I'm dying of curiosity here," I practically yelled.

Kyle stood up and he leaned against my desk close to me. I looked at him attentively.

"Someone paid a top selling magazine to publish pictures of Jayden and Kylie everywhere possible with a whole ass article of bullshit."

"What sort of pictures?" I asked him curiously.

"The controversial ones that'd make the public question and judge his loyalty to you and ruin Kylie's career completely."

I furrowed my eyebrows in confusion. "Who would do that to them? Why? Did they ask for money?"

"It's not about money. They were actually willing to give money so that by tomorrow morning it'll be a famous story in every state in the US and beyond," Kyle explained, disbelief evident in his tone.

Personally, I was shocked too. Nothing of that sort had ever happened ever since I got married to Jay.

"So how'd you find out?"

"Well, when grace favours you, your enemies will smell victory, but never see it. Someone sold them off to us anonymously. It must have been one of the staff members working for the magazine or a well wisher who knew what was going on."

I took a deep sigh of relief, but the relief wasn't there. Fact still stood. Jayden had a big enemy and he was insanely close to ruining his reputation.