Chapter Forty : Thin Ice

Start from the beginning

"Sure thing."

**

It's not long before I'm all finished. As it turns out, it wasn't as unbearable as I initially thought it was going to be. Finally, I'm able to leave her to do a full inspection of my work while I start clearing up.

"How was that?" Violet questions, sneaking up behind me.

"It was actually okay." I say slowly and she seems impressed. "Yeah, I-." My next sentence ends when Paige comes around the corner with her freshly cut and dyed silver bob.

"Hey guys!" She grins, joining us. "How are you?"

"Good!" I reply. "Look at your hair, it looks great." Violet takes a little bow for her handy work.

"I know. I thought I better have it touched up before Christmas. Speaking of, Wesley and I are coming for the Christmas Party at Thomas'. We're spending the day with his parents and then New Year with mine." She turns to Violet. "Are you guys coming?"

"No. I'm finally meeting Eva's parents so we won't be able to be there."

"Oh man. Well I'm sure you'll have loads of fun anyways." Paige chirps. I smile at her infectious happiness. Over her shoulder, I see Eva coming in to see what we're talking about. She goes to open her mouth when there's another voice.

"Are you coming Paige? We're going to be late if you don't stop talking." Lara calls from behind Eva, causing Paige to whip around. I raise an eyebrow at Lara who's too busy staring at Paige to notice. I can tell inside she's squirming uncomfortably.

"We don't have all day Paige." Cassidy chimes in, without taking her eyes off of her phone. Paige glances to me uneasily. She goes to take a step away but then stops herself.

"You know what? You guys go ahead." She says calmly. I smile to myself. "I think I'm okay here." She nods, more to herself than anything.

Lara widens her eyes out of disbelief, checking with Cassidy who just shrugs, unbothered.

"Seriously?" Lara scoffs. Cassidy rolls her eyes and then heads out for the door. She halts before leaving and looks over at me, her long locks of silky blonde hair swinging over her shoulder.

"Thanks." With that, she leaves and Lara rushes off after her.

We all turn to look to Paige who looks relieved that they're gone. Cracking up into fits of giggles, we all hug in celebration. After a moment or two, we calm down and I glance at my own reflection in the mirror.

"I think I could use a bit of trim, don't you?" I turn to the girls.

"I'll do it!" Paige offers.

"Absolutely not!" I laugh, sitting down in a free chair. Violet positions herself behind me, a brush in her hand. Eva starts sweeping the floor and Paige happily sits beside us as we continue to chat. With these three, it's like we never stop laughing.

**

As soon as I step a foot into the apartment, my stomach starts rumbling. I take it as a sign that I need to start cooking some food as soon as possible. After changing into one of Thomas' t-shirts that drowns my body, I set myself up in the kitchen.

While trying to find a recipe, I hear a scuffing of shoes and then Thomas appears in the door frame. He's just in a pair of grey sweatpants, his tanned, sculpted chest highlighted with a thin sheen of sweat. It's rising and falling along with his slightly panting breath. He's obviously come back from a run.

I bite the inside of my cheek and tilt my head at him with a smile. It's almost annoying how good he looks. He points a finger at me, nodding.

"Your hair. I like it." I widen my eyes, surprised he could even tell.