Sharpen Thrice

3rd person pov:

Y/N sat in his barracks alone, he looked at his helmet in his hands, a black streak across its left side, a permanent mark of another moment where his life could have been stolen from him.

Of the many things Tear did when he made Y/N's armor battleready again, removing any scratches, chinks, and/or gashes wasn't one of them.

Maybe that was for the best, Y/N's had more than his fair share of suits in his time as a knight, but none suffered more abuse than this one.

Every tiny detail of it was memorable, this suit was what gave him his courage, even if it could become no more than a metal casket at any moment.

But this black streak was different, it was the first near injury that made him think about his life as a whole.

Until Tear came in, he sighed heavily, taking off his helmet and falling into the floor, Y/N would've been worried but Tear has been tired a lot since his 'Soul Bonding' as it's called.

Y/N: Another long one?

Tear: Yeah, I've gotta head out with Flute in the morning to some other big fallen kingdom to help her 'claim her 'birthright'.

Y/N: What about the others?

Tear: They're gonna go claim some power from their homelands too, oh yeah, and That Battalion your supposed to be training is waiting for you.

Y/N: Well, I guess I'd better get started.

He waved goodbye to Tear and made his way outside to Novaselics Castle Training Grounds, there's a few dozen soldiers around, most looking at him, a few more authoritative face had yet to notice him yet.

???: You there, Ripper.

Y/N looked over and saw a 6 and half foot tall man in a suit of armor.

Y/N: Hey, you're that guy who almost cut my head off!

???: Not so loud! I am Horace, a 'Lawbringer'. I keep thieves and criminals in chains, or I did until today.

Y/N: Is that why you put so much of a fight at my execution?

Horace: Yes. Rumors aside, I was not going to allow a criminal to escape.

Y/N: Yeesh... I could've killed you.

Horace: Yes, you could have. Very easily at that. But you did not. Not even one person was killed during your attempt. That is why I gave up.

Y/N: I see. So who are the rest of these guys then?

Horace: I would let them introduce themselves but that would take all day, so let's start with that short one.