28. Never Gonna Be Alone

"You're not gonna leave. I won't let you."

Taehyung spoke against the skin of Jungkook's neck, his hands tangled in the straps of the backpack on Jungkook's back. Jungkook found it hard to believe that Taehyung had been dead asleep by his side only an hour earlier.

But knowing your best friend was leaving the country for a week could do wonders for one's energy, even at 5 in the morning, Jungkook supposed.

"It's just over a week, Tae. You were gone for longer when you went to Daegu after graduation."

"But I was distracted then! Now I'll just be left alone with my thoughts and the memories of us in my mind! How will I survive?"

"I'll call you every night."

"You'd better." Taehyung slowly released Jungkook from his iron hug. "Don't forget about me too much while you're gone, Jungkookie. Are there hot Canadians? Is that a thing?"

"Hyung!" Jungkook laughed. "I'm not scouting people while I'm there. I'm gonna swim, maybe sightsee a bit, but that's it."

"Good. Cause you're mine."

"That I am." Jungkook pressed a kiss to Taehyung's cheek.

"You missed," Taehyung pouted.

"Tae-hyung, Kochinim is right there— besides I kissed you before we left."

"Jeon Jungkook, you are leaving me alone for more than a whole week. Kiss me properly!"

Rolling his eyes but leaning in nonetheless, Jungkook pressed a firm kiss to Taehyung's lips. "Better?"

"Much. Go win some medals!"

Eun Jung came forward to embrace her son then, a proud smile on her sleepy face. "I'll be there in a few days, okay? I'll be on a flight as soon as we close the deal in Gwangju. I'll miss you."

"I'll miss you too, Eomma. See you soon."

Jungkook picked up his suitcase and let Coach Bang lead him into the bus with the rest of the swimmers who would be flying to Canada to represent South Korea in the 14th Pan Pacific Swim Championships. T-minus 2 days until the beginning of the events and Jungkook could feel the anxiety settling in.

He'd competed in some pretty big competitions before, sure, but never one like what he was about to go to. Not one international that required him to pack his bags and fly, not only to another country, but to a whole other continent.

A 14 hour trip in total, and he didn't even have anyone with him.

Coach Bang counted, sort of, he supposed. He was familiar, but not in a way that gave Jungkook any sort of relaxation as he stepped onto the bus, eyes scanning over the other swimmers. Most were older (20s, he figured) but he spotted one younger-looking boy among them.

Things stored in the overhead compartments, he sat down next to a window, Coach Bang next to him.

"Nervous, Jungkook?"

"Uh, yeah. A bit."

"You'll be one of the only junior swimmers there. That in itself is an accomplishment. But I know you strive for the top. Looking at the rankings as they stand though..." Coach Bang withdrew a stack of paper from his bag, " you'll have no problems."

Jungkook saw his name highlighted in yellow several times as Coach Bang flipped through the list.

50 fly

Top 10

100 fly