18. Eye Candy

"Happy birthday Taehyung!" The door swung open, revealing a widely smiling Jungkook dressed in dark jeans and a turtleneck. Pretty fancy, by his standards, and the whole ensemble was his decision. He did try, after all.

"You're a day off, but it works." Taehyung laughed, stepping past the threshold into Jungkook's apartment.

"Okay, well I sent a text yesterday, it's not my fault I couldn't visit and say it properly the day of." Jungkook crossed his arms, and Taehyung laughed at him.

"You look like you're pouting, Jungkookie. 'S cute." Taehyung ruffled his hair with a playful smile.

"I'm not cute! I'm very manly. Sexy, you know?"

"If you say so, cutie."

"Excuse me?! I can smolder. I'm like that dude from Tangled! Nose guy."

"Nose guy? Oh, Flynn Rider." Taehyung paused to look at him, so Jungkook threw his best smolder on. "Hmm, 6/10. Flynn did a better one."

"But he doesn't have my muscles. So I win. And I have better hair too."

At that, Taehyung reached over, rubbing at Jungkook's hair vigorously. He sat back to admire his handiwork and immediately burst out laughing. "Not anymore you don't!"

"Cruel, Kim Taehyung, cruel!"

Taehyung greeted Eun Jung while Jungkook attempted to calm his hair, which by that point more closely resembled that hair of a Persian cat that hadn't been washed in weeks. Only longer and black.

Taehyung's family had gone up to visit his grandparents in Daegu for his birthday, so Jungkook had been thus far unable to celebrate with him. But the offer had been made that since Taehyung's family had hosted Jungkook for Christmas, Taehyung was free to spend New Years with the Jeons if he chose to do so.

Taehyung had agreed without a second's hesitation, following it up with a few minutes of excitable chattering. Even though they were on the phone, Jungkook could practically picture Taehyung's gleeful face, decorated with the large box smile that he adored seeing so much.

"Taehyung! How are you? Happy late birthday, dear!" Eun Jung held her arms open, and Taehyung gave her a warm hug.

"I'm good! Thank you for having me."

"Oh, any time. Jungkook's been practically counting down the seconds all day, you should have seen the look on his face when you told him you'd come over!"

Taehyung raised his eyebrows. "Oh really?"

"My goodness, I don't think I've seen him smile like that in ages. I don't know what he'd do without you, honestly." She turned. "Jungkook, your hair—"

"Still a mess?"

Taehyung began laughing again. "You made it worse! Here, sit down." Jungkook did as told, and Taehyung stood behind him, sorting it out. He thought it may have been annoying if not for the feeling of the heat that snaked under his skin with each feather-light brush of Taehyung's fingers.

"My god, how much damage—"

"Ow!"

"—sorry. How much more could you possibly have tangled this up? And what kind of shampoo do you use?"

"Er, what?"

"Did you just have a shower or something? You smell good."

"Uh, yeah. And I don't know what kind—"

"Coconut."

Jungkook turned to look at Eun Jung. "What?"

"You use coconut shampoo."