•31|✨

Maxim

"I hate you." I spat and a grin appeared on her face. It was the first genuine smile she'd given me since she got here and I found myself unconsciously mirroring her expression." Come on, have a seat."

"Whatever you say, Maximus." She jogged towards the huge window in my office which was tucked away from prying eyes. She snuggled up on the comfy couch underneath it and folded her legs over each other. Tapping the space beside her, she nodded. "Sit."

"Don't ever call me Maximus." I scowled and she rolled her eyes. A small smile made its way to my lips as we settled into an awkwardly comfortable silence.

"Well," she drawled, clearly impatient." Are you gonna talk or not? I don't have all day."

"The door's that way and it's unlocked too." I smirked." Feel free to leave anytime you like."

"You're an arrogant ass for someone who wants to share his pain." She folded her arms. "You look miserable."

"I was going for the same look as you." I weaved my head backward, her hand barely connecting with my cheek." Is it that obvious?"

"Yup." She nodded remotely." What's up with you?"

"Okay." I sighed and let my head fall back to the headrest. I propped both arms behind my head and watched my biceps bulge out. From the corner of my eye, I saw Vivi swallow and I mentally applauded myself for wearing my favorite tank top today. " Something weird has been going on."

"You don't say." She replied dryly. She was definitely trying to rile me up but I found myself smiling like an idiot instead. " Apart from your whole existence?"

"Do you know why I asked if you were stalking me the day we crossed paths on the quad?" I ignored her sly remark. " I did that..."

"Because you're an asshole?" She cut me off." And a pompous prick?"

"It's huge, I know." A chuckle escaped my lips when her face scrunched up in disgust. "Could you please not interrupt me? This is really serious and I haven't exactly shared it with anyone."

"Oh," she sounded sincere. A quick glance at her and a worried expression was resting on her face. "Continue."

"Well before that, I've been getting gifts. Cards, flowers, chocolates, anything you could think of." I nodded." It was great and all until it became more personal."

"Personal how?"

"Personal as in I started getting messages." I gulped as the memory of the day I'd gotten the very first message flickered in my mind. Pushing it out of my head, I continued." Really creepy messages from some random person."

"What did the message say?"

"Obviously, whoever that is, is in love with me." I replied, a little proud of myself and she groaned." I mean who wouldn't?"

"Then why do you seem so sad about it?" She was glaring. " That sounds like just the thing to boost your ego."

"True true. I seriously didn't mind." I exhaled." I didn't even mind that much when I was in the hospital. I was sure the private investigator I'd hired would sort it all out, until.." my voice trailed off.

"Until?" She pressed, her voice dripping with curiosity. " Until what?"

"I met someone." I let out slowly. "I met her and everything changed. "

"Oh." Something tinged her voice. Sadness, anger, I couldn't quite figure it out." Your girlfriend?"

"What?!" I almost choked on my saliva. My head whipped towards her and the expression she donned wasn't one I was expecting. My own saliva had almost killed me and I was expecting her to at least be happy about it,but she wasn't. Instead, she stared at me with big green orbs which were silently pleading with me to give a negative response to the question she'd just asked. " What did you just say?"