•13|😵

"So Kim," I drummed my fingers excitedly on my thighs as my eyes scanned the many sheets of paper she'd scattered across our apartment's dining table. She'd insisted that I shouldn't touch any of it, so my curiosity was eating me up." What's all this and when do we start?"

"Patience, young one." She hummed, practically floating into the room from the kitchen, a huge bottle of Scotch in her hand and two petite glasses. Setting them both on the table, she took her seat across mine and looked me dead in the eye." We do not rush the matters of intense snooping like this."

"You're drunk." I plucked a glass from the far end of the table, downing it in one gulp with a fair amount of the beverage in front of me. In one swift gulp, I scarfed down the vile liquid, leaving a hot bitter trail as it slid down my esophagus." And it's barely even midnight."

"Tis the best time to be high and dry." She hiccupped, and I bit back a laugh." And it helps me to focus on the task at hand."

"Yes." I nodded enthusiastically. "Back to business."

I was really excited about digging through this Penny's life and finding something incriminating. Which was weird because I barely knew her and her very face seemed to light something in me. Anger.

"According to my sources." Kim buzzed, the large bottle in her grasp." Everyone in Belvedere has secrets, especially the ones who pretend to be goody-two-shoes...."

" Just like Penny." I finished for her, tilting my head to see if I could make anything out of the papers." So what's hers?"

"I have a hunch." Kim paused." Rumour has it that she sells answers to other rich kids who can't afford to study on their own and the answers are usually pretty accurate since she's a TA."

"So all we have to do is find them or some sort of evidence to back this up?" Kim nodded so hard I feared her head would fall off." What's your secret, Kim?"

"Ha." She laughed." If I told you, I'd have to kill you."

"Right," I smirked.

If only she knew...

"So when..." I stopped mid-sentence as my phone vibrated all the way from the couch. Groaning, I pushed myself out of the chair and made my way to the couch." Who could be calling me at this ungodly hour? I swear if it's Tate with one of those dry jokes, he's going to get reduced to frostbite."

"What do you want Tate?!" I barked into the phone, without bothering to check the caller ID." I swear if it's ...."

"Kid." The voice on the other end of the phone shut me up immediately. I swallowed nervously as I took a peek at the caller ID and groaned inwardly." It's me, not Tate."

"I'm sorry." I rubbed my temple in utter embarrassment." I didn't check my caller ID before picking up your call."

"It's fine." He sounded strained like he was fighting back the urge to tease me as usual.  I guess he was still mad at me. And that broke my heart a tiny bit.

"Yeah." I drawled." You needed something?"

"Actually yes." He quipped in such a professional tone, I'd almost forgotten about the awkward moment we just had." You have to get to Mr. Woods apartment stat."

"What?" I felt my eyes widen just like saucers." Why!? It's almost midnight and it's chilly...."

"There's been a break-in, possibly by his stalker and his life could be in danger." He cut me off." The investigative team is already on their way but you're needed in case things get ugly and  he needs to make a quick getaway."