•3|🤯

I sucked in a large amount of air as I stared at the empty swivel chair in front of me. Tick tock, tick tock, I drummed my fingers against the oakwood finishing on the desk, in an attempt to keep a grasp on my sanity. I'd been sitting here for half an hour or more, with no sign of the chief and that was usually not a good sign.

I wasn't exactly scared of him, but I really respected him. I mean what's not to respect?. After the tragic incident thirteen years ago, I fled from home and no one bothered to look for me.

I'd roamed the streets for two days without food or water. I was basically living off trashed food till I bumped into Chief Keith on a stormy night.

"Chief." He'd introduced himself to me, smiling sweetly and the name stuck immediately. "What's a young girl like you doing out in the cold? Where are your parents?"

After telling him everything that'd happened, he took me home and I became his daughter immediately. He was divorced; his wife and child somewhere on the other side of the planet.

"You sure took your sweet time coming here," I whined, immediately the front door creaked open. I didn't need to turn back to know he was the one, his cologne was strong enough to choke me to death." And you're the one always talking about punctuality."

"Don't sass me, kid." He smirked, giving him a younger look in contrast to the grey lines lining his head. He had gray eyes and thick brows that framed his face perfectly. He also had a few wrinkles creasing his eyebrows but he wasn't a sore sight to gaze upon. " You're in big trouble."

"Nothing our old chief and kid relationship can't fix?" I beamed, flashing a sweet smile that hurt my teeth badly." It's me, your kid."

"I know." He frowned immediately." That's why you're in big trouble. You seem to be abusing that power these days."

In all my life of living with him, I'd never called him dad or father. Yes, he'd picked me up and taught me everything I know; right from training me in martial arts and everything I needed to know and recruiting me in the FBI but I just couldn't bring myself to calling him Dad.

That title was for my father, whose death I'd avenge. Soon.

Chief Keith on the other hand didn't seem to mind. So I called him Chief and he called me Kid

"Are you even listening to me?" Chief's voice rang in my ear." Kid!?"

"I'm sorry Chief." I shook my head." I spaced out just now."

"Which means you weren't listening to me." He raised his eyebrow." This is exactly what I'm saying. You're taking advantage of all this."

"I'm not." I sighed, lounging deeper into the plush headrest of my chair." She started it..."

"And you couldn't have stopped it?" He cut me off." You couldn't have walked away?"

"You don't know the things she said to me." I snapped." You seriously don't know."

"I don't know." He nodded." But I do know you've got anger issues. You could have walked away, be the bigger person, but no, you just had to hit her. "

"It wasn't that bad." I frowned." It was just a little bruise."

"A little bruise?" His eyes were as wide as saucers." Do you call that a little bruise? You broke her nose, split her lips and I'm almost sure you broke her ribs!"

"All that in barely ten minutes?" I smirked, imagining Susanne's agonized face." Damn, I'm good."

"You're good and taking this too far! " Chief cried, obviously frustrated." Can't you see?"