Chapter 14 The Battered-Body Trick (Part 1)

After returning from the Xu's mansion, Xu Linghe did not have a spare moment, though. He hoped to have his Junior Brother to make a trip to the North Desert. Now except Lin Xiaosa, he could have few people to trust at hand. Di Qing was injured. So it was an urge for Xu Linghe to have Lin Xiaosa come as soon as possible. It seemed that his father, Xu Yinchang, was unshakable in his decision.

"Junior Brother, this is the letter for Lin Xiaosa. Please send it to Brother Lin in person."

"Senior Brother, you can count on me. I promise that Lin Xiaosa will reach the capital city within two days."

"Junior Brother, thank you."

Little Lingchong sat alone in the yard. Chengyi stared at his Senior Brother, who knitted his eyebrows, and let out a sigh.

Little Lingchong told Xu Linghe that Jiang Wuyou was a little fox and that the reason why she concealed her identity was that she was afraid she would be rejected by him.

Xu Linghe regretted what he had done. In fact, the little woman carried the fate of Teal Hill. If only he had been more careful. If time had flowed backwards, Xu Linghe would not have left her alone, even if he had to go through thick and thin.

In Xu Linghe's mind, their separation in Jiangnan would not be the farewell for always and Jiang Wuyou would wake up anyhow. To say the least, if Jiang Wuyou fell asleep forever, he would accompany her till the day she would hold his neck, saying, "Linghe, have you been waiting for a long time? Your little fox has come back." The hair between his fingers was smooth and soft. The woman in his arms was so tender as if she just fell asleep. She curved up the corners of her mouth, seemingly having a sweet dream. Her thick and upturned eyelashes reflected the candlelight, which made the butterfly soar high again, though it had intended to perch. Shrouded in the shadow, Xu Linghe caressed her little face—so cold her lips were. He desperately missed the days in the courtyard of Jiangnan. Now, she was before him, but he could do nothing.

It was on Holy Mother Empress's birthday that Lin Xiaosa arrived in the capital city. He went there to celebrate the birthday as Governor of the North Desert. At the sight of Xu Linghe in one yard, Lin Xiaosa could not believe his eyes. "Is he still my brother? How gaunt Xu Linghe has become! He used to be so gentle and courtly, but now is tormented to the lifeless situation because of love." he thought.

Having recuperated half a month, Di Qing, King of Jiangdu, was finally able to throw the crutch away. Today was a special day. So he was dressed in an embroidered robe. Lin Xiaosa gazed at Di Qing and never expected that his brother would look so regal in the robe. It was made of navy blue cloth, embroidered with silver linings in the form of auspicious clouds—quite magnificent and serious.

Di Li stepped out of the Inner Yard. She looked extraordinarily charming today with a lavender mantle enfolding the tenderness and beauty of a sixteen-year-old girl. Looking at the gentle girl in front, Lin Xiaosa felt that she was not the unruly girl any longer. She looked elegant but witty in her sable jacket with her black hair falling down. Looking at her with all his eyes, Lin Xiaosa felt his heart bound wildly again.

Lin Xiaosa's horse, Lie Huo, kept neighing to remind its master. On the carriage, Lin Xiaosa raised the tulle and popped his head out. If he missed the right time for celebration, it would be regarded as a great offense. And he was reluctant to give grounds for talks.

When he saw Xu Linghe, Xu was also dressed in a robe embroidered with silver-lining auspicious clouds. But his brocade robe was made from wild silk yarn. Xu Linghe approached from far away like a banished immortal stepping on auspicious clouds. At the sight of him, Di Li's eyes darkened from ardent to gloomy. Seeing Di Li that way, Lin Xiaosa's passion faded away, his heart down to the bottom. He was fully aware that Di Li liked Xu Linghe, but he was jealous to see his beloved girl's heart belong to another man.