Chapter 7 - Borrowing a Mortal Body

The soul floated across the air and she knew that she was unable to return. The person she did not want to disappoint most was Xu Linghe but there were no second chances in this world. The little fox had truly disappeared. In the clouds, Wuyou felt the biting chill of the wind. The sky was extremely cold and the feathery snow kept the darkness at bay. The Qilin came toward her but could not see her. Even the Little Longchong was unable to sense her aura. She was extremely weak and as she looked at the Qilin walking further and further way, she used her last bit of strength to fly out of the ravine.

Her soul was slowly fading away and she was unable to latch on to any spirit creature. She was all alone in this vast world and the silence was deafening. Wuyou hid under a banana leaf, she had to be careful not to become elf food in this dark place.

There was a sudden whinny behind the mountain and Wuyou quickly threw herself to the ground in fright. Only then did she realize that she was merely a soul.

As the footsteps drew closer, Wuyou's terror grew. She was hiding in a place where elves were aplenty and after she lost her seven mortal forms, Wuyou's sense of smell and sight were slowly fading away. A feeling of helplessness consumed her in this dark night.

The footsteps finally stopped and Wuyou carefully poked out from the banana leaf and looked around. She saw a giant serpent hissing and fighting with a golden toad. The giant serpent coiled its body tightly around the golden toad and all the golden toad had to do was to gently bite at it and the arrogant snake was defeated. It uncoiled its tail and surrendered. As it stared at the golden toad, Wuyou saw the indignance in its eyes but nothing could be done.

"You little bastard, come out! If you still refuse to come out, I'll have you for dinner tonight."

The frustrated giant serpent calmed down and hid its head under its body while the golden toad climbed up to its master's feet and looked at the giant serpent with disdain. This was such a familiar sight.

"Master, this creature tried to eat me."

The golden toad shook its tiny claw and its eyes gleamed craftily. It knew the giant serpent was its match and pitied this frustrated giant serpent.

"I'm not only going to cook you, but I'm also going to cook it."

The banana leaves rustled and the solitary shadow had nowhere to hid. Under the dim moonlight, a man was dressed in white, his black hair tied up tightly and only a wisp of hair could be seen curling in the night sky. He held a jade fan in his hand that gave off chilling light.

"Little demon, you don't even have your soul left. You're such an embarrassment to Teal Hill."

The man looked at the soul with disdain and Wuyou was shocked to find out that the man knew that she was a fox from Teal Hill. However, she had nowhere to hide and the giant serpent in front of her was monitoring her closely so it would not be easy to escape the serpent's attack. The soul was suspended in spirit power and the cunning golden toad spat out a mouthful of sticky saliva, trapping Wuyou within, in order to curry favor with its master. Wuyou struggled futilely, unable to free herself from the sticky bubble.

"Master, this demon soul is very fresh."

The golden toad clapped its little claws and used the giant serpent as a springboard to jump up dozens of meters. The giant serpent was enraged to see that this cunning toad was always claiming credit in front of their master. It curled into a ball and tried to think of ways to make the toad suffer next time.

"Little demon, how do you want to die?"

She did not want to die here tonight but as she slowly started to lose Divine Awareness, she struggled to recall Xu Linghe's name but failed to do so. As her soul was suspended in the bubble, her final thought was that when one loves too deeply and is completely helpless to do anything about it, despair would eat away at one's heart like a knife and one can only hope that one's blood flows for a longer period, as proof that one is still alive.