Chapter 11 Dark Storms Ahead (1)

Xu Linghe was always wary of Ni Shang. Di Qing was in good spirits now that there was a beautiful woman by his side. Di Li did not like that woman and sat by herself, keeping a far distance from the group. The presence of this woman by her brother's side made Di Li more well-behaved.

After the battle at the inn, Xu Linghe and Di Qing agreed on taking the state highway. Along the way, they came across many kinds of people and the generals from the frontier fortress making their way up north in disguise left the deepest impression on Xu Linghe.

He asked Di Qing about them on several occasions but Di Qing was too engrossed in flirting with his lady. Xu Linghe recognized some of these generals and several were even on good terms with his father.

Di Qing and Ni Shang were drinking heavily but Xu Linghe knew that this was only a deception tactic by Di Qing. Xu Linghe noticed that Di Qing would gaze outside once in a while and in his eyes were not filled with love with the woman in front of him but it was a piercing stare of one hunting down his prey, filled with the desire for power.

Xu Linghe had never underestimated anybody, neither did he dare to trust anyone blindly. Xu Linghe was willing to go through fire and water for his friend but he was wary of doing the same for the King of Jiangdu. This was a man who had been brought up in a struggle for authority since childhood.

He wondered what the Holy Mother Empress's birthday banquet would be like this year, who were these generals in disguise looking for and what was their relationship with his father.

After they crossed the border of the capital, Di Qing decided to stay within the capital on a whim. Xu Linghe had no objections either. They would soon arrive in the capital city so it would be good to rest for a night. Di Li was very well-behaved this time and did not kick up a fuss, probably traumatized by the previous time. In a surprising turn of events, it was Di Qing who wanted the most expensive room.

Xu Linghe looked at his friend and smiled teasingly. The woman named Ni Shang hardly spoke during the journey but Xu Linghe knew that this woman was afraid of him. They had exchanged a few words and he caught the fear in her eyes each time. She seemed to be terrified of him but Xu Linghe knew that it was merely an act.

When the moon rose, Di Li wanted to appreciate the nightlife of the small town and asked her brother to accompany her. However, Di Qing rejected her and said that he wanted to retire for the night. Xu Linghe clocked Di Li's excitement and found it hard to reject this girl's request.

Winter had just begun so the night was chilly. Xu Linghe wore a cloak made of peacock feathers on top of his silk robes and exuded the elegance of a nobleman.

Di Li was from the South and was not used to the bitter chill of the North. She wrapped herself up in her fur coat so that only her eyes could be seen and Xu Linghe could not hold back his laughter at the comical sight. When she saw him laugh, Di Li burst out laughing too.

The furry Di Li walked along the streets with Xu Linghe. Due to the geographical difference between the north and south, Di Li was very interested in northern cuisine, especially their spicy food. Xu Linghe found a clean place in a quiet corner of the streets.

After Di Li had finished her food, he handed the stall owner a few pieces of silver. They walked in a single file and occasionally stopped to admire the scenery.

Di Li walked to a stall that sold blown sugar figures and was absolutely fascinated by the art of blowing sugar figures. Xu Linghe stopped and stooped down to closely observe the stall owner's actions. He had seen such sugar figures a few months ago. He had been so blissful then, with the person he liked by his side. He still remembered how touched his woman had been as she watched the sugar figures.