XI - Violating The Limits Of Human Hygiene

10 days until the job

⚜️

"I hate being here," Kai mutters, swiping her stringy hair away from her face as she steps down the moldy ladder after me.

I understand sister, I understand.

"I wonder if any homeless people live here," Monique ponders, climbing down after Kai. I power up the huge flashlight and light fills the entire sewer. We steer clear of the running water next to us as Monique, Alby, Cassandra, Rey, Dhara, Minji, Yuri and I make our way to the place where we plan to start digging the tunnel.

It's true, a majority of Chicago's homeless population have to set up beds in sewers to protect them from the chill outside. It's so sad, these conditions are absolutely horrid, but the weather above is even more unforgiving. I would totally hire anyone living down here to help us dig the tunnel.

I hope rat and possum are doing fine. I hope they found a female rat and female possum and made cute babies. As much as I hated them before, I think I have grown attached to them.

"Ah it smells terrible!" Cassandra whines, covering her nose.

"Well you're standing next to a river of liquified human faeces, what else can you possibly expect? Chanel?" Kai says grumpily. Have I mentioned it's 4 am right now?

Rey hefts two of the drills on her shoulders, "Stop the whining and continue moving if you don't want me to shove the drill through your gut."

Maybe I should have picked a different time to come here.

Dhara laughs, "Calm down, Rey! Give me the drills, and have some coffee."

Have I ever mentioned how much I love Dharuna?

"I don't know, feels cool to me, plus its slightly warmer here, and I'm good with that," Yuri says, looking around with wonder. 

I seriously appreciate the optimism.

After walking for a minute, Monique stops and turns towards the wall of the sewer, "Here, we need to start digging here. And make a tunnel at around fifty-five degrees, to reach the main hall on the ground floor, where the auction will be held."

I heft one of the drills and hand it to Monique who's biceps flex as she hefts it upright, "Do the honors, Andre."

****

I trudge slowly into the secluded cafe, and the barista wrinkles her nose at me as I place my order. Okay, so I smell a little bad, I have a shirt and pants and shoes, you can't refuse me service. 

Everyone else had gone back, but knowing them, I am sure I wouldn't get a bathroom to myself in the next hour or so. So why not enjoy some good coffee till then?

I take my white chocolate mocha and sit in a corner, curling my hands around the warm cup.

I remove my coat and plop down on the cushiony seat, then take a long sniff out of my drink.

Suddenly a takeaway cup appears on my table and I look up to see a familiar dark-haired, blue-eyed security guard looming over me, looking at me weirdly.

"You smell like cheap hooker and even cheaper beer," I comment instantly, my fatigue doesn't allow my brain to function.

"You smell like shite," he comments, sitting down on the opposite seat.

Oh well he isn't wrong in any way.

"I did not permit you to sit," I say tiredly, running a grimy hand through my grimy-er hair.