~ 42 ~

THE GRAIL HUMMED AGAINST Chalice's hip as it rested in their bag, almost enough to distract them from Titania's electrifying presence. She made no moves to attack them yet, like she was waiting for someone else to throw the first punch. Karma worked well for her, that much they knew, and she'd take advantage of it so long as her opponents were idiots. Chalice couldn't exactly flaunt the wisest of companions, but they hoped the others had enough sense not to attack right away.

"You really came," said Titania. Her face was still mangled, but she was no less enchanting to look at. The arm she'd lost had been replaced by a mechanical one, sharp and sleek and fluid when it moved. "I thought maybe you'd lost your wits."

"And abandon my people?" said Morgana. "You're an idiot."

"The Seelies are not your people," she spat. "Why are you trying so hard to heal them?"

"Because that disease is killing the Unseelie, too," he seethed. "Why haven't you done anything for them? Your people are in agony. What kind of Queen lets her kingdom die without batting an eye?"

With a loud cry, Titania lunged for him. It seemed to have struck a nerve, and she was merciless as she swiped his chest, dodging by a breath of bad luck. Chalice's reflexes were quick, and they slowed her down, giving Morgana enough time to draw his sword and duck away from her.

A blow from behind knocked the druid to the ground, sending the Grail flying from their satchel. Namyra was behind them, a large shield strapped to her arm and a furious expression marring her beautiful features. She had the face of a Queen and the backbone of a spoiled dog. Chalice didn't know whether to pity her or hate her more.

Titania's attention switched from Morgana to the holy relic on the cobblestone, glinting in the sunlight. She clutched it in her hand, trembling as its glory defied her impurity.

"Is that what this is?" she said. "Do you think you can heal them with this? It won't work if it's gone." With a loud cry, she crushed it in her metal hand, the gold caving in with her strength.

Chalice felt their heart drop to their stomach, and they threw themself to their feet. Kit and Eurion held Namyra back while the druid tried to find a solution. It shouldn't have been that easy to break it, but it bent like soft foil in the Queen's grip. If it was that easy, it shouldn't be so hard to fix it.

When the Grail clattered to the ground, magic weakly flickering away from its surface, they stretched out a hand and thought of what it once was. It was a powerful relic, one of miracles, and if they had any hope of completing their mission, it had to exist.

Slowly, the deformed metal popped back into its place, and Titania watched in horror as they fought to return it back to what it was. She picked it up from the ground and tried again, but Chalice was too determined to give in. They strained, praying for the others to keep Namyra back while they reshaped the Grail. Soon, it was back to normal, but they weren't done.

They made it brighter, holier, blessed it with their sheer will and a silent chant said beneath their breath. It became too much for Titania to bear, and she dropped it like a hot poker. It took her a long moment to get over the initial shock, but once she did, she cried out, lashing her hand at the druid.

Over time, the Queen had gotten sloppier, more desperate, like she needed something so badly it hurt. Chalice wanted to feel bad for her, but after everything she's done, they couldn't. They dodged her hits better than they expected to, drawing power from the Gods to deliver blows to slow her down. She pulled a dagger from her belt and swung it their way, but with a clean roll, they narrowly avoided it, snatching up the Grail from the ground as they did.

They could stop her now, if they tried hard enough. She was panting, still damaged from the dragons' vicious blows, and they had the Grail. Chalice clutched its stem, focusing on the power that grew from it. They prayed for a miracle, for the people to be healed and the Queen to fail, because that was the only way to keep them all from suffering.