PROLOGUE

LONG AGO, IN KING Arthur's time, there was a legend. The legend of the Holy Grail, a treasure of great magic and power. It was said to bring youth, health, and happiness, a prize sought after by all those who knew of it. Brave men sent out on long quests in search of the Grail, but all returned home empty handed.

Faith in the Grail was dwindling, until the son of Sir Lancelot, the bastard Sir Galahad, received a vision of it. The young Knight was the only one with a heart pure enough to find it. And when he did, the kingdom rejoiced. He wished to show it to his father, but Lancelot declared he was not worthy and refused.

It was Lady Guinevere, the bride of King Arthur and secret lover of Lancelot, who agreed to see it. She did not cower away, and to her own surprise, she found herself to be worthy of the grail, despite her infidelity.

With the help of the Grail, she finally produced an heir to King Arthur before she made her escape with Lancelot, and thus began the battle of Camlann. Guinevere was believed to be killed for her sins, but few know the truth.

At Galahad's insistence, she escaped the kingdom and its growing darkness, taking the Grail and hiding it away, where it would be hidden until a worthy soul should find it again. The Lady then vanished, never to be seen or heard from again, taking with her the divine power of the Holy Grail.