~ 27 ~

"I SWEAR TO THE Gods, I felt it. I knew it was here, I promise, I don't know what happened." Eurion wasn't one to cry, but she could feel her throat getting tight and her eyes growing hot. This was the one thing she was good for, the one thing she was so sure she could do to help, and it all fell apart, just like that. How the hell did it disappear like this? After they came all this way?

Morgana glared at her like she told him she planned to murder his family, but everyone else only looked confused.

"Maybe it didn't want us to find it," Giselle reasoned, and Eurion had never seen her look more discouraged. "Maybe it... left."

"But why would it leave?" asked Morgana. "We need it, why the hell would it do that? Our intentions are pure, we're in need, it called us all the way here, for God's sake. I don't understand."

She tried not to take his aggression personally, but it was difficult when he was so intense like this. "Listen, maybe we all need to just--"

Before she could finish, an arrow whipped past her shoulder and right towards Morgana. His reflexes were faster than lightning, and he caught the arrow inches before his face. In the dim light of Chalice's hand, she could see black smoke curling up from the tip.

"Booby traps?" asked Lionel.

Eurion had a sick feeling in her chest. "I don't think so, kid," she whispered. "I know what booby traps look like and this isn't it. Someone else is here."

Right on cue, another arrow shot through the air, this time making its way for Eurion. She was quick, but not quick enough to avoid it, and she closed her eyes to brace for impact. But it never came.

When she looked down, she found the arrow hovering at her chest, shaking until it finally dropped. Behind her, Chalice released a breath, and she looked to them with wide eyes.

"Was that you?"

The druid shrugged. "Probably."

"You know, I don't know about the rest of you but I feel like we should get the hell out of here before we all get popped full of arrows," Morgana said, and Eurion snapped back into action.

"Right," she said, tugging Chalice's wrist. "Let's go, hurry."

The group turned around, rushing towards the exit right as the arrows came flying their way. It was right in view when they were ambushed again. They could hardly see the men with the light, but even Eurion, completely human Eurion, could feel them there with their shadowy presence.

There was no time to be shocked. Kit and Selene drew their swords, and everyone formed a protective circle around Giselle and Lionel, preparing for the Shadow Knights to attack. For a long time, nothing happened. But the moment it inevitably did, it was a mess of swords clashing and a battle in the dark. Men of shadows were surely accustomed to fighting with no light, but no one else was.

They had to get out of this cave, at least they'd have the moonlight.

"Follow me!" she called out, slipping between two men and taking them out with a strategic flick of her blades. She knocked them to the side, tossing another Knight off balance, and she distracted them long enough for her companions to make their way towards the moonlit cliff.

Outside of the cave was much lighter, but it was a smaller surface. If they could keep up, the cliffs would be their friend, but if the Knights got the upper hand, it could be deadly.

Luckily for Eurion, she was too slick on her feet to stumble so readily. Chalice was, too, and naturally, so were the faeries. Kit and Lionel were the worst off on this cliff, so Eurion offered them a hand as best she could.