~ 10 ~

"THANKS," KIT MURMURED AS Selene unlocked the cell, setting the two of them free. Morgana hesitated, but Kit stepped out without a second thought.

Selene's eyes went anywhere that wasn't Kit and Morgana, and he couldn't say he blamed her. His hair was even messier than it'd been before, and his face was still flushed from whatever the hell he and Morgana just did. It was obvious, and Selene was perceptive.

"Are you sure the Queen is allowing this?" Morgana asked, lingering behind. "I'd hate to accidentally commit treason or something."

Selene stepped through the door. "Yes, she did. Now you two better fix your clothes before everyone else has to see what I saw."

She disappeared, putting a wooden barrier between herself and the two of them before they could follow her up the stairs.

Kit cleared his throat and turned around. Morgana looked fine for the most part, other than a few pieces of misplaced hair. He was careful as he reached out, adjusting the loose strands until they were back where they should be.

"Sorry, you just had--"

Morgana cut him off with a glare.

"Right. Um. Okay." He brushed his own hair back in place with his fingers, turning to open the door for Morgana. The faery took the offer, but on his way out, he yanked Kit down by the collar until their faces were inches apart.

He said nothing for a second. "You look better when you don't shave."

Then he left Kit there, cheeks as red as a cherry, frozen until the clanging of Morgana's chains disappeared from earshot. Once the sound was gone, Kit finally got his wits about him and he followed him up the stairs.

The others were waiting for him in Giselle's room, sitting around a table with a map open in front of them.

"It's about time," Eurion said with a smirk when she saw him, looking him up and down. He didn't know if she was referring to him getting there or something else entirely, but at this point, he didn't care to find out.

The only spot to stand was right next to Morgana, but he kept himself as far from him as possible. It didn't help the tension, but he did his best to ignore it.

"There were clues in those pages," Selene began once she knew they were paying attention. "Somewhere in there, it mentioned the Grail being a 'gem of every sea.'"

"'Gem of every sea' is an underground way of talking about the Southern Capitol," said Eurion. "Most people wouldn't catch it, it's not a common term, but it's unmistakable. Whoever wrote those words meant something by it."

Her fingers traced the map until they settled on a starred point, and that's when Kit realized it was a map of the Southern Deserts. It was one of the largest continents, almost twice as large as the North Islands, where Avalon was.

"I think Guinevere is trying to lead us here," Eurion continued. "I don't know why, I doubt the Grail is in the Capitol. But I think it might lead us to another clue."

"Pack your bags, then, folks," Selene said, eyes alight with excitement. "We're going South."

* * *

G

iselle knew all too well what this look meant that her mother was giving her. She was trying to be disappointed, but she knew Giselle was right and she couldn't tell her no. She would try as hard as she could to convince her there was another way, though.

"You have to be here for your people, darling."

"I know, that's what I'm trying to do," Giselle insisted. "If we get the Grail, I think we might be able to save them. I don't know what good I'll be doing just sitting here watching them die."