Chapter Forty-Three: Mat

"Holy shit, holy shit, holy shit!" I jumped up from the couch as I saw the game.

I looked over at Bela who was fast asleep.

"Baby, wake up," I shook her.

"What?" Her eyes fluttered before opening fully.

"We did it! Ty's going to the Stanley Cup Finals!" I said with the biggest grin on my face.

"I'm so proud of her!" She smiled. "Back to bed,"

I laughed as I helped her off the couch and led her upstairs to our bedroom. I was too happy to go to sleep, so I cleaned up downstairs. Yes, I cleaned. Actually.

Shit, I'm so proud of Ty. I knew she could do it. I looked at my NHL app to see how the Western Conference was doing. The Isles were either going to play the LA Kings or the Colorado Avalanche. LA was up 3 games to one. If they win tomorrow night, they meet up with Ty in the finals. I checked my Instagram and liked every post that showed the Isles winning the Eastern Conference. I texted Tyler to make sure that she knew I watched the game.

Me: Hey Barzy! You played great in this series! Good luck in the Finals! We'll be at the stadium to support you :)

She didn't text me until the next morning.

Ty: Hey Barzy! Thanks! Can't wait to see you when I come home!

Me: Are you coming over?

Ty: Maybe tomorrow is that ok?

Me: Perfect

"Yes!" I smiled, looking down at my phone.

"What now?" Bela asked.

"Ty's coming over tomorrow," I smiled. "I get to see my hockey playing kick-ass princess tomorrow!"

"Awesome," She smiled.

"I'm so excited," I told her.

"I can tell," She kissed my lips.

We went downstairs to eat breakfast. I made eggs and Bela put on The Office. It was our new retired ritual to do so, and I loved it. Being retired was annoying and fun at the same time. I played golf a lot more often. Teaching Bela how to play was a pain in the ass, but I loved it so much. She's actually pretty good now; I'm a hell of a good teacher.

I spent the whole day cleaning the house with Bela. One of the things about being retired is helping with chores. I fucking hate it. My job is to clean the bathrooms and vacuum. I asked Bela why I couldn't hire a cleaning lady because we have such a big house. She likes cleaning and it gives her something to do. Cleaning isn't fun for me but it does keep me busy. Plus, we usually make Italian food for dinner on cleaning days, which is basically my favorite. Besides Chipotle, of course.

After we finished eating, I put on the Kings vs Avalanche game. Bela hopped on the couch and cuddled next to me.

"You want LA to win?" Bela asked.

"Well, I did want Colorado, but I think LA's gonna win tonight," I told her.

"I think Colorado's gonna make it a series," She said.

Damn, I love it when we talk about hockey together.

We stayed awake the entire game. Colorado won 4-2 and owned the game. They're both great teams, so the Isles have to watch out for their competition.

"I knew it," Bela said.

"Knew what?" I asked.

"That Colorado was gonna make it a series," She said. "Three to two is still a chance,"

"Sure is," I said.

"But whoever wins this game is going down in the finals, though," Bela smiled. "Tyler's gonna kick their ass,"

"Exactly," I hugged her. "We're going to the cup, baby!"

Tyler came the next afternoon. As I opened the door, my face lit up. I buried her in the tightest hug and smiled.

"You're going to the fucking Stanley Cup Finals!" I couldn't stop smiling.

"The Isles haven't won a cup since the day I was born, so it makes sense that I should be the one to get them there," She laughed.

"Obviously," I said.

I led her inside and we sat in the living room after she said hello to Bela.

"We're so incredibly proud of you, baby," Bela kissed Ty's head.

"Thanks," She smiled.

"So, how does it feel?" I asked.

"Winning the Conference Finals felt like a dream come true, but going to the Stanley Cup finals is even more exciting," She said. "I have a huge chance at winning the best trophy in all of sports!"

"It definitely is," I said. "You'll love the feeling,"

"Who knows, maybe I'll get the game-winning goal like you did," She said to me.

"Hopefully it doesn't go to game seven and almost overtime, but yeah," I laughed.

"We've got the confidence and the skill, we're gonna get there," She smiled.

"Don't be too confident, though, you don't wanna get swept," Bela told her.

"She's not gonna get swept," I said. "You better not get fucking swept,"

"We're not gonna get swept," She laughed.

"Better not," I scoffed. "Of course once I leave the Isles, they make it to the Stanley Cup Finals,"

"Because the better Barzy took over," She said pompously.

"Hell, you think you're the better Barzy?" I asked with a slight smile. "I'm the original,"

"Okay, Dad," She smiled.

"I'm so happy you're here," I said to Ty.

"I'm happy I'm here too," She said. "With my two favorite people in the world,"

She looked at me and Bela.

"We are pretty great," I laughed.

"The best," Bela smiled.

"Love you guys," Ty hugged us.

"Love you too," I said. "Just don't get swept,"

Bela slapped my arm and laughed.