Chapter Thirty-Four: Tyler

A month later, we went to Seattle to play against the Kraken. We won the first game and I got an assist on Fuller's first NHL goal. After the game, I was surprised to see Zack with my jersey coming from the stands. I ran up to him with a smile.

"You came to my game?" I perked up.

"Surprise!" He said. "Are you surprised?"

"Of course," I smiled, giving him another hug. "How have you been?"

"Great," He said. "My team's doing well and we're winning sometimes,"

"Sometimes?" I asked.

"We're alright," He laughed.

"Same here," I laughed along.

"Imagine being on the Sabres," He said.

"Imagine still being in the Juniors," I retorted jokingly.

"Ouch," He laughed.

We went to get something to eat and we talked like we weren't apart for the past few years. There was no hiccup or anything. I told him basically everything, except for what happened with Nick. I even told him about Fuller and how he was a legit asshole.

"So you're friends with this dude now?" He asked.

"We're chill," I told him. "He doesn't bitch at me because he wants to win and it would look super sexist if he did,"

"Have you gotten into any fights yet?" Zack asked.

"I've gotten hits on me, so they're not holding back, but no fights..." I said. "Yet,"

"Damn, yet?" He asked with a surprised look on his face.

"Who knows, maybe I'll get into it with another rookie or something," I said.

"Seriously?" He laughed.

"If he deserves it," I said. "Even if he doesn't, if I have a bad day, someone's getting beat up,"

He laughed and shook his head.

"You're still the same hockey player that you were in high school," Zack laughed.

"What do you mean?" I asked.

"You're so physical on the ice," He said. "It shows how good of a player you actually are,"

"I ain't afraid of no guys," I laughed. "Bring on the fights!"

We left back to New York the next day. I was exhausted and jet-lagged like I always am after trips. The rest of the season flew by. Our team wasn't the best in the NHL, obviously, but we weren't the worst. We didn't make it to the postseason, which I was pretty pissed about. We were six points away from the Bruins who clinched their spot. Both the Canes and the Isles clinched their spots already.

It was Dad's last season before he retired as well as Uncle Beau's. Uncle Ethan retired after he married Aunt Shreya. Mom's cousin Auston Matthews retired last year too. He hasn't reached out since I made my NHL debut. Svech announced that this was his last year as well. Seb retired last year which goes all of my NHL buddies. It was amazing playing against some of the guys that I grew up with watching on TV.

The Islanders were against the Capitals in round one as well as the Hurricanes and the Penguins. Both the Islanders and the Hurricanes met up for the battle of the Metropolitan Division. The games were back and forth. The Canes won, then the Isles, and it was pushed to a game seven. The Hurricanes won and my dad was upset that he didn't get his last chance at the Stanley Cup. The only one that he got was almost nineteen years ago on the day I was born.

The Canes played against the Tampa Bay Lightning and won that series in five games. They were going to the Stanley Cup Finals against the Colorado Avalanche. The Canes won in six games, winning the Stanley Cup. Uncle Ethan took me to watch the game live and I saw Svech lifting the cup. It made my heart skip a beat a little. It was his last cup and he looked so happy. I nudged Uncle Ethan.

"Your team is good," I said.

"I know," He smiled. "Wait, is that Svech's jersey? I thought you were gonna wear mine,"

"You're not playing, are you?" I asked. "Your old ass is retired,"

"I didn't retire because I'm old, I retired because I wanted to spend my life with my wife,"

"Speaking of... why isn't she here?" I asked.

"Shreya still doesn't like hockey," He laughed. "She's probably watching the game right now,"

"Honestly, she probably is," I said.