11│CUTTING THE CORD

Start from the beginning

🌎🌎🌎

"Julie— hey, Julie!" Shawn called after the redhead as they moved between classes the next day.

She paused to allow him to join her. "What's up?"

"I— well, we haven't gotten a chance to talk since Christmas and I know now's not really a good time—"

"You're going out with Angela. I know."

He seemed to deflate a little. "Oh. Alright. You're cool with that?"

She gave the same response from before: "it's fine."

"Okay, I just wanted to make sure since— well, you're my best friend, Julie. I didn't want it to be awkward."

"It's fine, Shawnie. Besides, I'll be joining you guys."

"You-you have a date?" He didn't sound particularly thrilled.

"Yeah. That's a surprise, right?" the redhead asked dryly.

"I didn't mean it like that—"

"I know," she reassured him. "I'm just as surprised as you are, actually."

🌎🌎🌎

Cory was, unfortunately, the one who received the brunt of her frustration. He caught up to her after dinner. "Hey, Jules, I haven't gotten a chance to ask—"

"Angela and Shawn are going out. You're doubling with them, but it's actually tripling since I'm coming too," Juliet cut him off in a monotone voice.

"Er— right. Are you sure—"

"It's fine."

"Because if it isn't you don't have to come, you know. Or better yet you could just tell him how you feel. But I just wanted to make sure—"

"It's FINE!" she snarled. She whirled around to scowl at him as her blue eyes flashed furiously. "How many times do I have to say that before it goes through your thick skull? It's fine, it's fine, it's fine! God! Why can't you just accept the fact that we're done?"

Without waiting for him to reply, she stalked off with her hands clenched into fists as she fought the urge to burst into tears.

🌎🌎🌎

"Whoa, Firecracker. You could kill with that look," Kendrick said by way of greeting as she flung the orchestra room doors open.

"They're all so. . . so. . ." She let out a stream of garbled frustration.

"Uh— I don't think that's a word."

"I know! I'm just so fed up with all of their stupid sympathetic looks and 'check-ins' that I had to make up a new word! God! Why can't they see that I'm fine?"

"While I might be putting myself on the line here by saying this, maybe it's because you look like you could kill someone?" he suggested. The redhead glared furiously at him and he held up his hands placatingly. "Hey, I'm on your side, Gollum, but maybe you need to spend a little less time around your Ring."

Juliet's expression stayed frozen for a moment before it became drained. "Maybe you're right. Unfortunately I've already signed up for a triple date and I don't even have a date even though I said I did."

"Ouch," Kendrick said sympathetically. "That sounds like a code red to me. Where are you going to find someone so— well, I'm assuming here— last-minute?" Her gaze met his and his eyes widened. "No. No, absolutely not. I'm flattered, really, but I have a girlfriend—"