22

tw // this chapter will contain extreme violence and talks of sexual assault as well as blood and gun and knife usage - please keep safe while reading.

The song for the chapter is Heathens by twenty one pilots - if you want to listen on spotify alongside the chapter I will put a * where to start the song. Happy reading <3 

Layla Reynolds

I tried to prise my eyes open but they instantly stung, I screwed up my eyelids and the next thing I felt was pain. It took a moment to sink in, but it was undeniable. Pain radiated throughout my whole body, specifically in my hands. I was used to waking up in agony, but last night was something else. 

I held my hand out in front of me and flexed my fingers, squinting my eye open slightly, I caught sight of my swollen knuckles and the cuts and bruises that spread across my hands. I winced in pain at the familiar feeling and remembered that I didn't ice them last night, I didn't have the time to. I finished dealing with Laura and came to see Harry straight away.

Harry.

I turned my head suddenly, forgetting for a second that I was in Harry's bed. My nose became level with his bare shoulder blades as he lay fast asleep next to me. I tilted my head backwards to truly admire the muscles that danced in his back as he took deep breaths in, he truly was magnificent to look at. I noticed his arms were folded in front of him and I know his hand placement was no accident.

I've never slept in the same bed as someone else before in case they accidentally touch me, but last night I couldn't explain it but I knew I needed it. I needed him. I needed to be close to him. I know he respects my boundaries and is always so mindful of what makes me comfortable, so I know him crossing his arms last night to restrict his hands against his own body was no accident.

He cared.

I rolled slowly onto my back to stare at the ceiling, exhaling deeply at the shit show that unfolded last night. Why his men shot up my club baffles me, its not on the books that Retribution owns that place, because its my name that's on the holdings. The drugs and weapons are not kept in the building, anyone from a decent gang would have that idea, which means that this was a personal attack.

Which brought new questions into my mind, who knew we were going to be there? Why where they so men heavy? Why did they shoot up the place in public, meaning it was hard to maintain it from the police and news outlets? Any self respecting gang leader knows to keep it discreet, you don't shoot up a club full of civilians when they've seen your face, unless you are not afraid to be seen, which is stupid. Luckily we have some police officers on our payroll, we also have some say in what gets printed from the media, what is really hard to keep control of is people's eye-witness accounts. People love gossip and love to run their mouths, keeping that contained is almost impossible, which again gave me reason to believe that this hit was more than business. 

Whoever ordered the hit last night clearly had some information from someone, it had to be someone from my side, unless we were being watched. Which also doesn't make sense because no one knows our involvement in the gang, no one ever knows its me who runs it. They always expect a man, so us being watched didn't make sense.

Someone knew the 'gang leader' would be at Modo last night, they just didn't know or expect me or how well trained all three of us are, even with one of us injured, we still took down a boat load of strong men, and that thought alone made me smirk.