Chapter 6: Everything All At Once

Converging on Little Hope all at the same time were the three separate groups of people that were going to attempt to stand against Mary and her friends. The vampires led by Luvia, the variants led by Hondo and Anippe, and the human adjacent people that were so messed up they were made for this type of world. Little Hope was on the south coast of Britain and the three groups were arriving from the north, east and west. Soon anyone in Little Hope was going to be stuck there as it became a battlefield. If only Mary and the others knew, there would have been a lot less heartbreak.

- • -

That following morning, after the three groups had been arriving during the night, Jake and Lu had pretty much caught their dads up on everything that had happened. They learnt about what Abiel succeeded in doing and what he didn't succeed in doing, what happened to the world since, and how they survived all of it. More then anything though Jake, Lu and the twins were just happy to see them again. When vampires made themselves known to the public, the inevitability of death pretty much disappeared. However, when everyone started to vanish it felt like those people had died to those left behind. Neither Jake nor Lu ever wanted to know what that felt like ever again.

After explaining how they should probably be getting back to Mary's house because it was safer, they started to make the journey. Both Paul and Ben found it quite emotional walking through Little Hope and seeing it how it looked now. The town they had both lived in for years and for one of them was even born in, reduced to nothing. All the shops they used to go in, all the cafes they used to get coffee from, the schools they used to bring their children to, and the house they raised their families in. It was a happy reunion but the circumstances were soul destroying.

Once they reached Mary's camp, a little bit of hope came back to Paul and Ben because they were witnessing people still living life. As the gate was opening for Jake, the twins and Paul, that's when Lu and Ben appeared. Lu ran over and pretty much jumped into Paul's arms and Jake went over and hugged Ben, his cooking being one of the things Jake missed most whilst in the post-apocalypse. Paul and Ben also hugged even though to them it was like they had seen each other yesterday. They both each thanked Jake and Lu for keeping the other safe when they couldn't, they would forever be grateful.

As they all walked through the camp, it was clear that everyone that had gone out yesterday was back. They entered Mary's house, instantly hearing the sound of running since Mary knew it was them. As soon as she appeared she pulled Ben and Paul into a hug, tears in her eyes for two reasons. The first one being she was proud and happy that she actually succeeded in bringing them back, the second reason being she was just so genuinely happy to see them.

"I can't believe you're back" said Mary, releasing them from the hug.

"Yeah well apparently it's all thanks to you so thank you" replied Ben.

"Everyone always knew you were special but who knew you were save the world special" said Paul.

"Still got a long way to go before the world is actually better again though" replied Mary starting to walk in the direction of the kitchen and everyone following behind. "Come on, Christian was just about to explain something."

"Oh, hey guys" said Christian as they all walked into the kitchen. Paul and Ben caught up with everyone, well, everyone they actually knew at least. "Anyway, as I was saying, after we blew up The Isle and killed Lucas, we found Kat alive. We managed to capture her and then just in case I kept her alive."

"Well that came back and bit you in the ass" replied Max.

"True but I didn't think she'd be able to escape a coffin made from silver that I threw into the ocean" said Christian.