chapter 24: The Sokovia Accords

"Secretary Ross has a Congressional medal of honour, which is one more than you have," Rhodey said to Sam.

"So let's say we agree to this thing.how long is it gonna be before they LoJack us like a bunch of common criminals?"

"117 countries want to sign this. 117, Sam. And you're just like, "No, that's cool. We got it,"

"Because we do 'got it'. Every disaster that has been presented to us, has been taken care of. Yeah, there's been a few casualties, and environmental damage, but that's bound to happen. You can't grow crops without damaging the land... That sounded better in my head," Sam nodded at me.

"Now, how long are you going to play both sides?" Sam asked Rhodey.

"I have an equation," Vision said.

"Oh, this will clear it up," Sam said sarcastically, and we all looked to Vision.

"In the eight years since Mr Stark announced himself as Iron Man, the number of known enhanced persons has grown exponentially. And, during the same period, the number of potentially world-ending events has risen at a commensurate rate,"

"Are you saying it's our fault?" Steve asked, turning a page of the Accords.

"I'm saying there may be a causality. Our very strength invites challenge. Challenge incites conflict. And conflict breeds catastrophe. Oversight. Oversight is not an idea that can be dismissed out of hand,"

"Tony," Nat said, and Tony sat up and removed his hand from his face. "You are being uncharacteristically non-hyperverbal,"

"It's because he's already made up his mind," Steve said.

"Boy, you know me so well. Actually, I'm nursing an electromagnetic headache. That's what's going on, Cap. It's just pain. It's discomfort. Who's putting coffee grounds in the disposal? Am I running a bed and breakfast for a biker gang?" Tony said aggressively, as the image of a young kid was projected. Tony started talking about this kid who was smart, had a good GPA, and was building sustainable housing for the poor in Sokovia.

"He wanted to make a difference, I suppose. I mean, we won't know because we dropped a building on him while we were kicking ass," He took a large drink of his coffee. 

"There's no decision making process here. We need to be put in check! Whatever form that takes, I'm game. If we can't accept limitations, if we're boundary-less, we're no better than the bad guys,"

"Tony, if someone dies on your watch, you don't give up," Steve started, but Tony cut him off. Everyone else was quiet, we had nothing to say.

"Who says we're giving up?"

"We are if we're not taking responsibility for our actions. This document just shifts the blame," I nodded, and Rhodey looked at me, then to Steve.

"I'm sorry, Steve. That is dangerously arrogant. This is the United Nations we're talking about. It's not the World Security Control, It's not Shield, It's not Hydra..."

"No, but it's run by people with agendas, and agendas change. What if this panel sends us somewhere we don't think we should go? What if there's somewhere we need to go, and they don't let us? We may not be perfect, but the safest hands are still our own," Steve said, and Tony walked over to us.

"If we don't do this now, it's gonna be done to us later. That's the fact. That won't be pretty,"

"You're saying they'll come for me," Wanda said.

"I'll protect you. I mean, we'll protect you," I replied.

"Maybe Tony's right. We have made some very public mistakes. We need to win their trust back," Nat said in agreement with Tony.

"Focus up. I'm sorry. Did I just mishear you, or did you just agree with me?"

"I want to take it back now,"

"No, it's too late now," I said, smiling at Nat, and Steve's phone started vibrating.

"I have to go," He stood up, and left quickly.

***

Nat and I walked over to Steve, who was standing alone in the church. We'd just attended Agent Peggy Carter's funeral, and I had been one to help carry the coffin. Her niece, Sharon, had given a speech that was eye opening, and happened to come at a good time.

"When I came out of the ice, I thought everyone I had known was gone. Then I found out she was alive. I was just lucky to have her,"

"She had you back, too," Nat said.

"Who else signed?" Steve asked.

"Tony, Rhodey, Vision," I answered.

"Clint?"

"Says he's retired," Nat answered.

"Wanda?"

"Undecided,"

"I'm off to Vienna for the signing of the Accords. There's plenty of room on the jet," Nat said to Steve, who looked at me, and I simply shook my head. "Just because it's the path of least resistance doesn't mean it's the wrong path. Staying together is more important than how we stay together,"

"What are we giving up to do it?" Nat sighed. "I'm sorry Nat, I can't sign it,"

"I know,"

"Then what are you doing here?"

"We didn't want you to be alone," I said, placing my hand on his shoulder. Nat hugged Steve, and walked away.

"What about you?" He asked me, and I shook my head again.

"I'll always have your back, Steve, no matter what gets thrown at us," He smiled, half-heartedly, at me, and shook my hand.

"Are you going to Vienna with Nat?"

"No, I'll stay here. I can talk to Wanda, if you'd like, try and get a decision out of her,"

"No, let her make her own decision," 

"Okay," We left the cathedral and walked for a bit, before Steve joined up with Sharon.