chapter 10: to beard or not to beard

I met Nat on my way to the quinjet.

"Did you get the information on the enhanced?"

"Yea. There's two of them. Twins. The girl is stunning. Do you think she'll be into an English boy?"

"Are you being serious?" Nat asked, trying to stifle a laugh.

"No. It'd never work out. She's Hydra, I'm an Avenger," I started walking backwards. "Mind you, Romeo and Juliet worked out. Sort of," Nat shook her head whilst smiling at me.

"Didn't they end up killing themselves?"

"Yep, but that's not the point. Two people from rivalling families fall in love, and their families would never allow it. But, they get together, and have fun. Til death do us part"

***

Nat sat with Bruce, talking. Bruce seemed on edge. He had been listening to something that helped him calm down after "Code green".

"Thor, report on The Hulk," Nat said.

"The gates of Hell are filled with the screams of his victims!" Thor said, rather enthusiastically. Nat looked at him seriously, and Bruce buried his head in his hands.

"But not the screams of the dead, of course. No, no, wounded screams. Mainly whimpering, a great deal of complaining and tales of sprained deltoids and uh, gout," He said, trying to right his wrong.

***

We landed on the helipad of Avengers Tower, and Clint was rushed to the lab. Nat went with him. Maria walked into the jet. Tony was sitting in the cockpit, Steve was squatting down looking at something, and I was sitting at the table.

"Lab's all set up boss,"

"Actually, he's the boss," Tony pointed at Cap, who smiled slightly. "I just pay for everything, and design everything, and make everyone look cooler,"

"You didn't design my suit," I said, smirking at him.

"No, but I can design you a razor," I furrowed my brow and stroked my chin.

"There's nothing wrong with my facial hair,"

"It's tacky," He started playing with some mechanics. "And you could do with a new suit,"

"Yeah, get to work then,"

"What's the word on Strucker?" Cap asked, standing up.

"NATO's got him,"

"The two enhanced?"

"Thanks to (Y/N)," I smiled to myself, and spun around in the chair. "We know they're Wanda and Pietro Maximoff, twins," They started walking into the tower, so they slowly became inaudible.

"Oh, that's right! I need another watch. I had to self destruct the other one," I stood up, and walked inside. I walked to my room, and ran a warm shower. As I took my shirt off, Nat walked into my room. I turned to face her.

"Tash?" She looked up at me.

"I was just coming to ask what you were gonna wear on Saturday," I noticed her gaze lower again, so I started moving about.

"Oh, well, I haven't thought about it. It's not Saturday yet," She tilted her head in agreement. "Can I ask you a serious question?" She tensed up.

"Sure, anything,"

"Does my facial hair look tacky?"

"Oh, uhm. It'll look good when it grows more. Ooh, that looks painful," She walked over to me, and started gripping my right arm. I looked in the mirror, and saw that my bicep was badly bruised, and there was a piece of shrapnel sticking out of it.

"So that's what that pain was," I pulled the shrapnel out of my arm, and blood started gushing out of the wound. "That's not the smartest thing I've ever done," I placed my hand over the wound and went to the shower.

"I'm going to shower, see you later!" I shouted to Nat.

Friday...

I walked down to the lab, to speak with Tony. I reached the entrance, but Bruce was there to stop me.

"Bruce, I need to talk to Tony,"

"Tony doesn't want anyone in here," Bruce said, and Tony walked over.

"It's okay Bruce, I got this. What do you want?"

"Just wanted to ask how progress with my watch is going,"

"Oh, it's going well. Believe me," He said. I looked over his shoulder, something I could now do, being taller than him.

"What are you doing with Jarvis?" I asked, noticing the hologram of an orange, ball of technology. He turned around, and flicked something up from his pad.

"Come in. I'm working on a watch that acts the same as the last, but has a few more features. One of which, puts your suit on,"

"Thank you. How's that going to work?" I asked.

"So, you'll use your voice to say 'Sam, activate suit," or give a command, and your suit will be applied from the watch, onto your body. It'll compress whatever you're wearing, and ensure that your suit is skin tight to ensure you're as aerodynamic as possible," Tony explained.

"Cool. I appreciate it, but what does Sam stand for?"

"Suit Activation Mechanism. She's your Jarvis. I just need your assistance designing the final suit design,"

"Okay, sure. I can do that. I'll leave you to it,"