chapter 12: the rise of Ultron

Thor gripped Mjolnir, and Maria stood up, loading her pistol. 2 more Iron Legion suits came flying through the glass behind Ultron. Steve flipped a table, and I went with Tony.

"Tony, what the hell have you created?"

"Not now. Maybe later,"

"If we survive," I ran behind the bar and grabbed a knife. I threw it towards one of the Iron Legions and it impaled it in the chest. I ran towards Ultron, but he shot me with his repulsor, and I fell down into the lab. One of the legionnaires grabbed the sceptre, and I ran and kicked it sideways, which hurt.

"I never wanna fight Tony if that's what it's like kicking his suits," I said to myself. I saw half of a suit advancing on Doctor Cho, so I ran towards it and threw it away.

"Thor!" I said, as he slammed Mjolnir down onto it.

We defeated all the legionnaires, and Ultron started speaking again as we were recovering.

"That was dramatic. I'm sorry, I know you mean well. You just didn't think it through," I removed a shard of glass from my cheek and threw it on the floor. 

"You want to protect the world, but you don't want it to change. How is humanity saved, if it's not allowed to evolve?" Ultron grabbed one of the defeated suits and looked up to us.

"With these? These puppets. There's only one path to peace," He spoke as he threw the suit back down. "The Avengers' extinction," Thor threw Mjolnir through Ultron, and he shattered.

"I had strings, but now I'm free," He said, as his dying words. I walked to the bar, and poured myself a whiskey.

"That was a fun party," I said, as I drank the drink. "But that won't be the last of Ultron," Bruce and Tony went down to the lab, and we all followed them.

"All our work is gone. Ultron cleared out. Used the internet as an escape hatch," Bruce explained.

"He's been in everything. Files, surveillance. Probably knows more about us than we know about each other," Nat said. I sat next to Maria, and ran my hand through my hair, which was starting to get darker.

"He knows about Wanda, and Pietro then. He could try and use them against us," I said, and Steve nodded at me.

"Right, but where are they?" Rhodey asked, and I shrugged. "He's in your files, he's in the internet. What if he decides to access something a little more... exciting?"

"Nuclear codes," Maria said.

"Nuclear codes. We need to make some calls. Assuming we still can," Rhodey said.

"He said he wanted us dead," Nat started, but Steve cut her off.

"He didn't say dead. He said extinct,"
"He also said he killed somebody," Clint chipped in.

"There wasn't anyone else in the building," Maria said.

"Jarvis," I spoke, and Tony nodded at me. The orange ball of technology appeared again, but this time it was broken and dysfunctional.

"I don't understand. You built this program. Why's it trying to kill us?" Helen asked.

"That's a good question," I said, and Tony started laughing.

"You think this is funny?" Thor asked.

"No. It's probably not, right? This is very terrible. Is it so... is it so... it is. It's so terrible," Tony said, which confused me along with everyone else.

"This could have been avoided if you hadn't played with something you didn't understand,"

"I'm sorry, I'm sorry. This is funny. It's a hoot that you don't get why we need this,"

"Tony, maybe this might not be the time," Tony started going on about how he saved New York, and how we were the Avengers.

"We're the Avengers. We can bust arms dealers all the livelong day, but that up there, that's... that's the endgame. How were you guys planning on beating that?"

"Together,"

"We'll lose,"

"Then we'll do that together, too. Thor's right. Ultron's calling us out. And I'd like to find him before he's ready for us. The world's a big place. Let's start making it smaller,

Sokovia...

It was dark, and 2 people, a male and female, were walking to the centre of the city. They were walking towards a church, and entered it.

"Talk, and if you are wasting our time," The female, with dark hair, started to say.

"Did you know this church is in the exact centre of the city?" A robotic voice asked. "The elders decreed it so that everyone could be equally close to God. I like that. The geometry of belief," The two Sokoovians started walking closer to the robotic entity sitting in the middle of the church.

"You're wondering why you can't get inside my head,"

"Sometimes it's hard," The female said. "But sooner or later, every man shows himself," The robot stood up.

"Oh, I'm sure they do. But you needed something more than a man. That's why you let Stark take the sceptre," The robot started descending towards the two Sokovians.

"I didn't expect, but I saw Stark's fear. I knew it would control him. Make him self-destruct,"

"Everyone creates the thing they dread. Men of peace create engines of war. Invaders create Avengers. People create... smaller people? Uh... children! I lost the word there. Children. Designed to supplant them, to help them end,"

"Is that why you've come. To end the Avengers?" The girl asked.

"I've come to save the world. But also, yeah, to end the Avengers,"