chapter 17: a vision brought to reality

We got back to the tower, and made our way to the lab. Bruce and Tony were working on something, and Clint was trying to locate Nat. Steve, Pietro, Wanda, and I walked into the lab.

"I'm gonna say this once," Steve started.

"How about, none-ce?"

"Shut it down!"

"Nope, not gonna happen,"

"You don't know what you're doing,"

"And you do? She's not in your head?" Bruce said, pointing at Wand

"I know you're angry," Wanda said, appearing from behind Steve.

"Oh, we're way past that. I could choke the life out of you and never change a shade,"

"Banner, after everything that's happened..."

"It's nothing compared to what's coming," Tony said, and everyone started bickering. Pietro ran around the room, unplugged something, and fell through the glass floor. Tony started working on his computer, and Steve threw his shield. Tony put a repulsor on, and shot Steve in the chest. Bruce grabbed Wanda, and put his arm around her neck.

"Go ahead, piss me off,"

"Bruce, get off her,"

"It's fine, I've got this," Her hand started glowing red, and she pointed it at her chest, and Bruce flew backwards. Thor came out of nowhere, and landed on the cradle. He charged Mjolnir with lightning, and diverted the lightning into the cradle.

"Wait!" Bruce shouted. The cradle burst open, and Thor flew across the lab. A red, and green body stood atop the cradle. A small yellow crystal lay in his forehead. We all stood watching it. It flew towards Thor, but Thor threw him across the lab. The red, and green body stood looking at its reflection in the glass.

"Banner, what the hell have you created?" I asked quietly, but he didn't reply. The creation came back to us.

"I'm sorry. That was... odd,"

"Jarvis? You put Jarvis into Ultron's half body?" I asked, and Tony nodded at me. A yellow cape materialised on the back of the creation.

"Thor. You helped create this?" Steve asked.

"I had a vision. A whirlpool that sucks in all hope of life, and at its centre is that," He pointed towards the crystal in the creation's forehead.

"What? The gem?" Bruce asked.

"It's the Mind Stone..." I stood up straight in shock.

"An Infinity Stone?" Everyone looked at me confused.

"When the universe was created, there was nothing. But, when The Big Bang happened, six little elemental stones were sent flying across the universe. They each control one of the six crucial aspects of existence. Soul, Mind, Reality, Time, Power, and Space. They're the most powerful objects in the universe," I explained, and Thor nodded.

"Unparalleled in destructive capabilities," Thor added.

"Then why would you bring..."

"Because Stark's right,"

"Oh, it's definitely the end times," Bruce said.

"The Avengers cannot defeat Ultron,"

"Not alone,"

"Why does your Vision sound like Jarvis?" Steve asked.

"Vision! That's a good name!" Steve looked at me seriously. "Sorry,"

"We reconfigured Jarvis's matrix to create something new," Tony and Vision started walking to each other.

"You think I'm a child of Ultron," Vision said.

"You're not?" Vision shook his head.

"I am not Ultron. I am not Jarvis. I am... I am," Wanda walked over to Vision.

"I looked in your head, and saw annihilation,"

"Look again,"

"Her seal of approval means jack to me," Clint said.

"Their powers, the horrors in our heads, Ultron himself, they all came from the Mind Stone. And they're nothing compared to what it can unleash. But with it on our side..."

"Is it? Are you? On our side?" Steve asked Vision.

"I don't think it's that simple,"

"Well, it better get real simple real soon," Clint demanded.

"I am on the side of life. Ultron isn't. He will end it all." Vision started walking around.

"Well there we are, I think that settles it," I said, and Tony hushed me.

"Well, what's he waiting for?" Clint asked.

"You,"

"Where?"

"Sokovia. He's got Nat there, too," Clint answered. Bruce walked up to Vision.

"If we're wrong about you, if you're the monster Ultron created you to be..." Bruce said.

"What will you do?" Vision asked softly, and there was no reply. He started walking around again.

"I don't want to kill Ultron. He's unique, and he's in pain. But that pain will roll over the Earth. So, he must be destroyed. Every form he's built, every trace of his presence on the net. We have to act now. And not one of us can do it without the others. Maybe I am a monster. I don't think I'd know if I were one. I'm not what you are, and not what you intended. So, there may be no way to make you trust me. But we need to go," He turned around and handed Thor Mjolnir. We all looked in awe at the android who had been able to lift Mjolnir.

"Three minutes. Get what you need,"

***

I led Pietro and Wanda through the tower, to my room.

"There should be something in my wardrobe like this. We're the same height, it should fit. Tony should have some trainers for you," He went into my room, and I walked with Wanda down to Nat's room.

"Tash should have something for you. She won't mind," I placed my thumb on the fingerprint sensor.

"Override security,"

"Identification required,"

"Fastest Avenger," The door opened. "Find something you like, I'll wait here for you," She was in Nat's wardrobe for a while, looking for an appropriate outfit.

"I'm sorry for being so aggressive with you before. In Sokovia, The Avengers are seen as villains, not heroes. But I'm not sure about you," She said, smirking at me, as she came out of Nat's room. She came out wearing a black dress with a red leather jacket. I was at a loss for words. She was stunning, even in Nat's clothes, which were a little bit too small for her.

"Well, you let me know when you've made a decision," I replied, smiling at her, and she smiled back at me. I thought back to what I said to Nat at the party. It's just a schoolboy crush. Is it? I felt funny whenever she smiled at me. It was a good funny, though. Pietro came out of my room and I put my feelings on hold. Pietro had decided to wear a shirt that I had been using as inspiration for my new suit that I had completely forgotten about. It wasn't too dissimilar to my current suit. The dark blue on his was dark green on mine, and the lighter blue on his was a lighter green on mine.

We were in the quinjet. Finalising our suit up. I placed a comm piece in my ear, and sat down.

"Ultron knows we're coming. Odds are we'll be riding into heavy fire. And that's what we signed up for. But the people of Sokovia, they didn't. So our priority is getting them out,"