Chapter 13

"Take a deep breath, Lilypaw." Moonpaw instructed the apprentice, her ear resting against her chest. Lilypaw took a deep breath as instructed, but was interrupted by a bought of coughing. Moonpaw sighed. "You have whitecough."

"What's gonna happen to me?" She asked with concern deep in her mew.

"You just need to take some herbs and rest." Moonpaw explained. "I'll get you some chickweed." She looked over to her mentor who was making yet another nest. Exhaustion wore on Moonpaw's shoulders as she looked at the state of their den. "We need another nest Eagleclaw." She told her mentor.

Eagleclaw sighed heavily. "Alright." He replied, his voice dry. It had been a little over a moon since Tawnyfrost came down with sickness and it had spread like wildfire, just as Eagleclaw feared. Spiderheart had moved in not long after Tawnyfrost and it only got worse from there.

Rainsong, followed by Cinderflower, Owlstorm, and now Lilypaw. Even Goldenstar had begun coughing, but she had been confined to her own den. Tawnyfrost was the very worst, with full blown greencough. The once regal and powerful she-cat now had dull fur and bleak eyes.

Eagleclaw had been giving her small amounts of catmint with each passing day, but she wasn't getting any better. Both medicine cats feared the worst. The sickness had thankfully stayed away from the nursery and elder's den, mostly due to the rules that Goldenstar had put into place before retiring to her own den.

No cat was allowed in either of the dens unless it was Moonpaw or Eagleclaw. The biggest scare was not long after the sickness started spreading, Hollytail moved into the nursery expecting Windheart's kits. Hollytail was incredibly young, but Moonpaw had heard rumors that the two of them had been in love since they were apprentices. Moonpaw just hoped the sickness would stay away from not only her kits, but Duskwhisker and Featherkit was well.

Moonpaw helped Lilypaw into her temporary nest and stopped for just a moment to take a breath, she had barely slept through all of her coughing Clanmates. She sat down and lapped up some water, but her break was short lived.

"Moonpaw!" She heard her sister crying through the silence. Moonpaw jumped in alarm and rose to her paws, running to where Riverpaw stood in the entrance.

"Riverpaw, what's wrong?" Moonpaw questioned in a panic, Riverpaw had grabbed the attention of Eagleclaw as well.

"I went to Goldenstar's den to ask what she wanted me to practice, but she didn't respond. I got nervous so I went inside,"

"I told everyone to stay out of Goldenstar's den." Eagleclaw hissed at Riverpaw.

"I know, but she only sleeps at night and I was really worried but she's not waking up!"

"Moonpaw go to the Goldenstar, I'll meet you there." Moonpaw nodded and ran with Riverpaw towards the leader's den. Is Goldenstar on her last life? She can't be! Moonpaw skidded to a stop in front of the leader's den.

"Stay out here." She commanded her sister before running into the dimly lit den. Moonpaw saw her leader lying lifeless in her den. She gave her golden pelt a sniff, it reeked of foul sickness.

"Oh, StarClan no..." Moonpaw breathed out.

"Is she okay?" Riverpaw spoke, stepping inside.

"Get out, Riverpaw." Eagelclaw hissed as he approached. He dropped catmint by Goldenstar's head, sniffing her muzzle. He sighed. "We're too late, she's losing a life."

"Isn't there anything we can do?" Moonpaw pleaded.

Eagleclaw shook his head. "She's dying, but she is a leader. She's not out of lives yet." Moonpaw stared in horror, hating the feeling of helplessness. After several long moments, Goldenstar's lifeless body stirred.