Chapter 32

"Nothing to report on the SunClan border." Riverstorm spoke, reporting to Ivyheart with the results of her reports. "The border was a little faint, but it seems like SunClan may have just been slow getting out on patrol today."

"Thank you, Riverstorm." Ivyheart gave Riverstorm an approving nod. "Get yourself some prey."

"Will do." Riverstorm confirmed and padded away from the deputy, feeling her paws drag slightly. Now that newleaf had arrived, Ivyheart no longer needed help planning patrols and Riverstorm was back to being a normal warrior, something she didn't like. She missed being deputy, it felt right for her. I was made to be deputy. Riverstorm thought, glancing briefly over her shoulder at Ivyheart. The deputy was starting to show her age more and more. She'll retire soon enough, and I will take her place. Riverstorm reminded herself.

And today was a day that Riverstorm had been looking forward to since she had been made a warrior; Ravenfur's kits were becoming apprentices. She's was more than ready to start training an eager young apprentice, she would train them just as Goldenstar had trained her. I will make her proud. Riverstorm vowed. She would make sure that Batkit would become a strong and loyal warrior.

Riverstorm padded over the fresh-kill pile and grabbed herself a mouse, sitting near the warrior's den. The ceremony would be held soon, she glanced over to the nursery where Ravenfur was desperately trying to get her kits in order with Mousetail attempting to help. Batkit in particular was quite rowdy, he had a lot of energy that Riverstorm would have to work with, she would make sure to correct his behavior and shape him into an honorable warrior.

Riverstorm waited patiently for the ceremony, she had waited this long she could wait a bit longer. She looked around for the other mentors, knowing that Echoheart was on patrol and the ceremony wouldn't start until she got back. Riverstorm wondered how here sister would handle being a mentor. She's been working hard lately, I can credit her that much. Riverstorm thought, looking down at her paws. But she never speaks to anyone unless she has to. Perhaps having an apprentice will be good for her. Riverstorm's tail twitched, she had a weird form of faith in her sister, it could be that training an apprentice would be just what Echoheart needed.

It's been four moons since she attacked Cedarclaw, surely she can't still be stuck up on some useless MoonClan tom? Riverstorm struggled to understand how the two of them even managed to get feelings for each other. Riverstorm often struggled to grasp how cats fell in love, she had never felt such a thing. Half a moon ago, Graypelt and Hazelfern announced they were having kits and Hazelfern soon moved into the nursery. She overheard Robinflight as well as a few other she-cats mention how badly they wanted kits.

The thought of being trapped in the nursery for eight moons was enough to make Riverstorm never want kits, let alone the idea of having to deal with squealing and annoying kits all day long. I'm glad others are having kits, but its not for me. Riverstorm's thoughts about kits were stopped when she heard pawsteps as Echoheart's hunting patrol returned.

She glanced towards their direction and saw Echoheart at the lead with a mouthful of prey, she was carrying the most out of her patrol, something that wasn't unusual. As the patrol returned and set their prey on the fresh-kill pile, Ivyheart spotted them and padded towards Goldenstar's den, presumably to tell the leader that it was time for the ceremony.

Sure enough, a few moments later, Goldenstar emerged and proceeded to the center of camp. "Let all cats old enough to catch their own prey gather for a Clan meeting!" Her powerful voice spread throughout the camp, getting the attention of every cat in AshClan, specifically the kits.

Ravenfur and Mousetail had to fight them from running off, Riverstorm's ear twitched in annoyance. She didn't act like that when she became an apprentice. Or did I? Riverstorm couldn't remember, it felt like so long ago.