Chapter 38

Many moons had passed since the worst day of Riverstorm's life, since her beloved apprentice drowned because of her own actions. A lot in AshClan had changed since then, they had lost Windheart and Rainsong to greencough as well as the two elders Sandnose and Cinderclaw. Heatherstorm, Gorsestrike and Roseclaw had all retired and now resided in the den in their absence. Batpaw's siblings, Nightstorm, Duststorm and Crowstep had all earned their warrior names along with Foxfeather. They currently had no apprentices, but Nightstorm was in the nursery with a belly of kits and Petalshine and Featherfall were as close as every.

AshClan was thriving but there was a hollow ache that stuck with Riverstorm, she was starting to think that his ache would never go away. After Batpaw's death she secluded herself, she didn't talk to as many of her Clanmates, she still worked hard but she felt broken inside, she didn't know what else she could do. She had failed so many cats, she had failed her sisters, Goldenstar and most importantly Batpaw who paid the ultimate price for her foolishness.

She lived her life quietly, not wanting to do anything else to hurt someone she was supposed to love. Echoheart was doing the complete opposite of Riverstorm, she seemed to have taken her place. She had many friends and was a well respected warrior. Riverstorm couldn't even look her Clanmates in the eyes half the time, let alone Batpaw's family.

She sat alone outside the warriors den trying to eat, something that had become quite the struggle for her, but she pushed through for her Clan. She spotted her father stepping out of Ivystar's den seemingly to organize patrols, and Riverstorm figured she should join them. After forcing down the rest of her prey she padded over to the group of her Clanmates that were gathered.

"Alright for the first hunting patrol I want it led by Lilyclaw, take Echoheart, Foxfeather and Petalshine with you. I will be leading a patrol near the SunClan border and I will be taking Lionpelt, Riverstorm, Duststorm and Hollytail." As he listed off the other patrols for the day Riverstorm shuddered at the thought of return to the SunClan border, every single time she went there she fought the urge to have a panic attack.

"Let's get going, we're wasting daylight." Jayclaw mewed and the patrol set off. Riverstorm hung near the back and tried to avoid talking to everyone else. However she noticed Lionpelt falling behind to walk beside her.

"I've been worried about you." He said quietly. "Ever since Batpaw's death you've been completely isolated, I thought it would wear off after a few moons but it hasn't."

"How could I feel any better?" Riverstorm sighed, she was tired of hiding how much pain she was in. "I failed my apprentice and he died because of me."

"You can't blame yourself forever, you didn't drown Batpaw. It's not your fault, Riverstorm."

She shook her head slowly. "I can't change my mind about that. I wanted nothing more than to be an amazing warrior, to someday lead this Clan and be a perfect leader like Goldenstar."

"My mother wasn't perfect." Lionpelt sighed. "Goldenstar was reckless, she started pointless battles just to flex her power. She didn't care me or my sister, she only cared about being a leader. She wasn't a terrible leader but she was far from perfect, she was a terrible mother. I don't hate her, but she shouldn't be your sole idol. You can still become leader someday, you just shouldn't hold yourself to her standard, be your own cat, Riverstorm."

Riverstorm looked at Lionpelt, she had always idolized Goldenstar. In her eyes she was the perfect warrior, strong, brave and loyal but deep down Riverstorm knew that Lionpelt was right. She still did so much for me. I miss her dearly, and I want to honor her someday. Riverstorm let out a sigh, she had a lot more thinking to do. Her mind was a raging storm of pain and confusion, she didn't want to focus on it right now. "Thanks, Lionpelt." She thanked her friend and returned her focus to the patrol.
They were nearing the SunClan border when a strange, foul scent washed over the patrol. "What is that?" Duststorm raised his muzzle, sniffing the air.