33

Tuesday

Hyunmi's heart is still at the surface of her chest, beating erratically after that encounter with Wooyoung. She tried so hard to not see his face, knowing that it would make her start second guessing her entire relationship with Hongjoong already.

However, she ended up catching a brief glimpse of the pain on his face. He seemed so cold before, but now he looked like everything came crashing down. The expression on his face alone makes Hyunmi want to apologise to him. But what should she even apologise for? It's not like she's done anything wrong. If anything, Wooyoung should be the one to apologise.

She knows it's not her fault, but that doesn't stop the sadness from overwhelming her yet again. "Ready?"

She snaps out of her thoughts at the sound of Hongjoong's gentle voice at her ear and that's when she realises that she didn't even open her front door yet. "I'm sorry, my apartment is very small," she sheepishly mumbles.

"Don't worry about that at all, there's nothing to worry about!" he tries to reassure her. It doesn't work, as one quick thought of Hongjoong's house leaves Hyunmi insecure again. She opens her door anyway, inviting the other in.

The smile stays on his face as he walks in and takes off his shoes. He glances around in wonder, deciding not to comment on the girl's empty white walls. He silently follows her to her kitchen, the walk being astonishingly short compared to the journey through his own house.

"I'll cook something for us real quick, give me a second," she announces with little to no energy. She has decided to cook one of Wooyoung's recipes as his food is the only thing she knows how to make, but somehow even a task this menial evokes a flurry of pain in her chest. She doesn't let it show as she gets straight to work.

"Need help?" Hongjoong offers, rolling up his sleeves. Gloom flashes through Hyunmi's eyes as she recalls the times Wooyoung cooked with her. "I-It's okay, the guest shouldn't do work," she laughs awkwardly. She doesn't feel nearly as comfortable as she did the night before, but she knows that Jung Wooyoung is to thank for that. But she can't even tell if he's the sole reason.

"If you need any help then call for me, I'll be on standby," Hongjoong concludes. He watches Hyunmi with so much adoration, heart filling up with every movement of hers. The situation feels surreal to him. He had fantasized about this day for years. This moment of not doing anything special, but simply having the chance to be her boyfriend. The fact that he's in her apartment alone makes him feel giddy.

Hyunmi sighs quietly every few minutes as she works, her mood spoiled. She forces a smile while serving the food once she's done, not wanting to ruin Hongjoong's good mood. His eyes sparkle as he deeply observes the dish. "This looks amazing!" he exclaims.

Hyunmi smiles a bit wider, but the smile doesn't reach her eyes when she remembers where she learned how to cook. "Thank you," she utters while sitting down in front of him at the table.

She feels bad that her mind is elsewhere while Hongjoong hums in satisfaction when the food enters his mouth. Even as he's complimenting her food, she's distant. Maybe this relationship wasn't such a great idea after all.

The two now sit on Hyunmi's bed, doing what they did the day before. She urges the butterflies to awaken once again as Hongjoong's lips trail kisses down her neck to her chest. She mentally begs for her heart to beat faster as his fingers fumble over the button of her trousers.

Alas, nothing happens. Hyunmi's hands land on top of Hongjoong's before he can proceed and stops them in action. He takes the hint and pulls his fingers away and the two continue where they left off, but it's futile. Hyunmi's mind remains elsewhere and the passion stays one-sided.