2

Saturday

The loud music bursts through the air and into Hyunmi's skull. She already feels so exhilarated just by hearing the booming music with chatter mixed in. The dark room with colourful lights doesn't fail to brighten her mood.

She zig-zags past the dancing people and sits on a stool at a bar. She wonders how alcohol would taste after years without it. She quickly orders a random drink from the menu, not even knowing what anything tastes like.

"May I see your ID please?" the bar tender kindly requests. Hyunmi's eyes widen. Does she look that young? She sheepishly presents her ID to the man, slightly embarrassed that a now twenty-seven year old is sitting all alone at a nightclub with no knowledge about what she just ordered.

The bar tender pays no mind however and presents a cocktail glass with a bright blue liquid inside it. Hyunmi stares at it with wonder. Will it taste as good as it looks? She takes a big sip from it and starts coughing.

Her mouth floods with the bitter-sweet blueberry taste of the liquid and it burns her throat as it goes down. When the bar tender worriedly glances to her, she lifts her hand to indicate that she's fine. She nearly had forgotten about how this sensation felt like.

Yet something washes over her. It's her birthday, she shouldn't waste this opportunity. Who knows when the next time she'll get the chance to try more of these beautiful drinks comes?

She bravely chugs the whole glass in one gulp, tearing up at the feeling. Despite this, she orders another drink. And then another. And yet another.

She happily drinks all of these colourful cocktails, trying her best to savour their fruity flavours while ignoring the strange aftertaste. 

Though maybe it was worth it after all, because she feels a new level of relaxed. So what if she's all alone? She can have fun alone and she'll prove it.

She gets up with shaky legs. How much of a lightweight is she? She laughs at herself while scurrying to the dance floor.

How do people wear skirts this short regularly? She contantly pulls it down her legs while walking.

Now having given up on the skirt issue, she dances freely, not a care on her mind. The only thing she can think of is, "so what?"

Some random people dance with her, and she dances with them. It feels nice to be around more people again. Everyone in the room looks like they're having a blast and it lifts her mood even higher.

Her feet start to ache again, so she goes to take a seat at a random empty table. One thing she's been noticing for a while now is one man with a white shirt on the other side of the room.

He's been dancing around with women, but his eyes keep making their way back to Hyunmi eventually. Even now, he's staring at her. He smiles to her while brushing his wavy black hair back. She stares back this time, amusement in her large eyes.

The man turns to the women he's with and whispers something in their ears.

And then he starts making his way to the table Hyunmi is sitting at.

The man with the black hair approaches even closer. Hyunmi's heart beats faster when his face comes into focus. He's handsome.

A glowing grin paints his lips and he finally sits down in front of her. "Hey," he starts off. She can't help but stare at his sharp features and the details on his face. The singular mole under his eye makes her heart thump harder.

"Hi..." she shyly returns. "Have you been staring at me?" she bravely asks. She's glad the lighting in the room hides her bright blush. He laughs loudly and looks back at her with a smirk.