31

Monday

After savouring the taste of the dinner that Hongjoong served to her, Hyunmi now sits a considerable distance away from Hongjoong as they watch the movie.

He had lowered blinds onto the window behind the TV and turned off the glaring lights, which leaves them sitting in a dimly lit room with only two lamps in the back corners of the room alit. There's a dark brown hue in the room, which leaves it dark enough to watch the film but bright enough to see themselves and the plates in front of them

Despite being in another man's house, Hyunmi thinks about Wooyoung the entire time throughout the movie. She can't help but compare the storyline and characters to Wooyoung and how they used to be, even though she shouldn't.

When the story ends with a happy ending, Hyunmi feels a bit broken inside. Her story with Wooyoung was so close to getting a happy ending too, but the change was too drastic.

Suddenly the TV turns off. Hyunmi turns to look at Hongjoong with a puzzled expression. She watches him move closer to her on the couch but doesn't feel nervous, just confused.

"There's something I need to tell you," he utters in a serious tone. Now starting to feel on edge, Hyunmi swallows and nods. "Yes?"

Hongjoong looks ten times more nervous and he takes a deep breath and loosens the tie around his neck. He takes a few moments to stare at the blank TV and collect his thoughts and takes a second deep breath. At last, he turns back to the other and forces a tight smile onto his face.

"Hyunmi, I...I have liked you a lot more than just as an employee for the past four years and have been too afraid to admit it until now. I'm sorry for all the times I've made you uncomfortable and it may be shameless of me to ask this, but will you date me?"

Hyunmi's eyes widen in shock and she stares blankly straight at him for a few seconds. His eyes hold worry and he fidgets with his fingers nervously. But Hyunmi's heart is now racing and her mind whirrs to life.

He really does like her? Although she had suspicions here and there, she always brushed off the possibility in the end. She doesn't know how to react now and stays frozen.

"It's alright if you don't have an answer yet, I can wait. Don't feel pressured or anything, we'll pretend this never happened if you say no," he reassures.

She still doesn't respond, too deep in thought. What if dating Hongjoong is a good idea? He seems like he could treat her well and she already knows he's nice company. On top of that, getting over Wooyoung will be much easier if she dates Hongjoong. If he's better than Wooyoung then everything will be better for everyone.

"I'll date you," she states firmly but softly. She can't deny the warmth in her chest when Hongjoong's face brightens up, but she still can't tell if it's in a friendly way or if she really has feelings for him.

Why are emotions so complicated?

"Are you sure? Don't feel obligated, I won't take offence," he tells her again. Hyunmi smiles to him and shuffles closer until their knees are touching.

"It's okay, don't worry. I can't guarantee that I feel the same way towards you yet but I want to give you a shot and find out that way," she admits. The huge grin remains on Hongjoong's face and he unconsciously takes Hyunmi's warm hands into his colder ones. "That's okay, I'm willing to wait for you to come to a conclusion."

"And actually, I've been wanting to do this for a long time," he whispers timidly. The girl nods to him in reassurance, awaiting his request.

"Can I please kiss you?"