34

Saturday

Saturday comes quickly with nothing too much happening between Hyunmi and Hongjoong. She's been desperately searching for a spark of attraction towards him, but hasn't felt it even once. It hasn't even been a whole week since they started dating, and Hyunmi keeps telling herself that she should give it more time.

But if she doesn't feel anything now, will she ever?

She also hasn't seen much of Wooyoung, but occasionally she spots him with his new girlfriend. She should be used to it by now, but it still hurts every time she sees them together. Trying to get over Wooyoung hasn't been going well at all.

Thinking about him has become a constant occurence with her, and deep down she still desperately wants things to go back to how they were. Just like when they first met, Hyunmi chooses to think with her heart rather than her head.

Even today, as work is finishing up for the day, Hyunmi can't get the memories out of her head. She may be sitting beside Hongjoong in his office, but her mind is elsewhere.

He holds her close to his body, and she rests her head on his chest. It's peaceful in the room after a tiring day at work, and the two of them bask in each other's warmth.

Hongjoong feels happy, he feels like this is the life he'd be happy to live daily. To have Hyunmi by his side like this is a dream come true. Hongjoong from four years ago wouldn't even be able to imagine this scenario vividly. Although he knows this position and this relationship will only be temporary, he ignores the thought and relaxes at the sound of her even and soft breathing. He wonders if she can hear his thumping heart too from the position of her ear over his chest.

However, Hyunmi goes deep into thought. She can't keep this going any longer, she needs to figure out a way of revealing her true feelings to Hongjoong. If she leads him on any longer like this, it'll hurt a whole lot more for the both of them, but especially for Hongjoong. She can't stay as his girlfriend when she can't return his feelings.

Suddenly, she sits up. Hongjoong is startled by the sudden movement and also sits straighter. "Mr. K- Hongjoong, have something to talk to you about," she begins in a wary tone. Hongjoong freezes, already half expecting the next words to come out of her mouth.

"I think we should break up."

Despite noticing a subtle disinterest in Hyunmi every day and expecting those words, his heart still comes falling down. He doesn't say a word and waits for Hyunmi to elaborate.

"I thought I might have liked you, but this past week showed me that I don't like you in that way. I'm so sorry, if I had been thinking straight then I wouldn't have lead you on like this," Hyunmi explains, expression growing guilty.

Each word comes as a punch to Hongjoong's heart, but he nods in agreement. This is partially his fault, if he hadn't gotten her heart broken right before then she probably wouldn't have dated him. But at the same time, this little amount of time he got to spend with her was worth it for him. As desperately as he wanted her, hearing the rejection straight from her mouth sets the situation in stone.

He realises that Wooyoung was never in the way of his relationship with her. She just never liked him like that in the first place, and that's something he could never change at any point. If this is what she wants, the only thing he would like at this point is to accept her decision.

Maybe it's finally time to move on. He's heard the harsh truth straight from her, and loses any hope he had left for their relationship.

"It's alright, I can't force you to like me back. Thank you for giving me chance, I'll never forget the last few days we had together," he responds, fighting against himself to keep his voice from shaking.